• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charities

From Wim121 in the proper forums..

I dont mean the following to be rude (just I despise charities and loath all associated with them in any way), but you are highly ignorant of the way charities work. But I do respect your candour/politeness and have no problem explaining.

I agree with you, if you have time or cash to spare, there is no problem in helping others. Charity is about helping your common person, without reward or recognition as a motivator. Many people though have no idea what the word or notion of charity entails. At this stage, I would recommend the bible to educate the dumbfounded masses.

Charities operate as a business, one that siphons off the publics goodwill as much as they can, especially the big ones. They act as a way for fools to feel absolved by dropping money in a bucket. They are scam artists working as highly illegal businesses masquerading behind a charitable guise, including the one you are working for.

From oxfam bribing sheiks to get aid in to the country, then misplacing aid and not researching what aid is required where, oxfam as well as many others, wasting donations in vast operating costs, much like the project you are involved in. Hiring contractors and employing expensive solutions on peoples goodwill, very sickening. Think how many donations people have made out of ignorance and their own strapped pockets, to keep you in a high paying contractor position.

In my naive youth, I volunteered for cancer research UK (even that notion is retarded as no further research is needed) and saw how other volunteers would bagsy/steal all the good stock coming in so customers could never purchase it, the way that acceptable donations werent ever displayed to paying customers as they were deemed not profitable enough, the mismanagement of money and the wages given to tiny shop managers which are far more than local department store managers get. Feel free to look around the internet at shop management jobs, in some deprived areas in the northwest, BHF were offering £26k, while peacocks was offering £22k. From my experience, just for a manager to laze around the charity shop and do sod all to get extra cash in then leave halfway through the day to go home to his sty and fire one off.

The problem is across the board. Think that "volunteer" getting people to sign up DD's to british red cross is doing so out of his own time? No, he gets paid for knocking on your door and then bonuses for each person signed up. He isnt doing so because he believes in the cause and wants the charity to help as many people as possible.

Even the small meagre amount that does get through to the cause, still doesnt. For example, age concern employs managers to decide how to disperse funds at even more expense. A very highly paid job for basic mathematics, but yet more donations are squandered. Then expensive carers go out to the select few to do their shopping for instance.

The general populace doesnt give it too much thought as donating absolves thought for them. They dont realise or care that out of the money they donate, hardly any goes to the cause after the collector is paid and given bonuses, operating costs, billing, merchandise such as fluffy toys posted out, mismangement across the board, bribery and corruption in nearly all charities within the UK that would surprise an african, etc etc.

If you want to help the aged, knock on your elderly neighbours door and get their shopping (milk, bread, etc) Do that once a month spending a couple of quid. That will help far more many people to a greater extent than giving money to charlatan charities.

I am not saying here, not to support good causes, I support them all the time, but I never give donations to any large charities and even some smaller ones are just as shady. Everyone I work with on a charitable basis I have intimate knowledge of what they do and their balance sheets, as I would never help any charlatan.

Finally, charity begins at home. We have people living in real poverty and abuse in our own country, lets focus on that before we are to be so arrogant, that we think we know how to solve the rest of the world.
    WHS

There was this guy on a radio show talking about the charity and how philanthropical it was and how 97% of the money went to real people in real need, but the host ripped him apart when he tried to get him to admit what he meant was 97% of the DECLARED PROFIT, not the income, most of that went on Mercs, jollies, bonuses and shameless guilt advertising

So the next time you see charity collectors on the station, in the street, just ask them how much of this 10p is going to the people represented on the tin.

...and don't get me started on chuggers.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      ...and don't get me started on chuggers.
      WSS

Anyone who is paid to raise money for a charity kinda defeats the idea in my opinion
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        From Wim121 in the proper forums..

WHS
        So, you think cancer has been cured as well?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Reminds me of the old NKF scandal in singapore

National Kidney Foundation Singapore scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'm sure there is massive amounts of wastage, and some corrupt people working in charities.
            But there's also a hell of a lot of good. I worked (voluntarily) for a while with a small local wildlife rescue charity. Every penny raised went to looking after the animals - all admin was done by volunteers. But that could only happen because it was a small, local charity run by a committed, dedicated couple who juggled the charity with 'real' jobs.

If you're an organisation the size of Oxfam, you have to spend money on admin / marketing / fundraising / IT / finance/ HR etc. It's unrealistic to think they run themselves. What's the alternative? Buy suity a spade and send him to Africa?

Successful charities are run like businesses. If they weren't, they wouldn't be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              WSS

Anyone who is paid to raise money for a charity kinda defeats the idea in my opinion
              And those fecking pointless things at clientco - Jim is walking the entire length of the Great Wall of China for charity, please think of others and sponsor generously. Feck that, Jim gets a £3k holiday of a lifetime and some needy person might get part of £50 after 'expenses'...

And those swanky celeb dinners with swarths of posh nosh to raise money for the starving!!
              Last edited by stek; 29 January 2012, 11:43.

Comment

Competition between charities is extremely cut-throat. Seems wrong somehow.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

If spending an extra million raises an extra three million, that's worth it... isn't it.

Well, maybe not. If that extra three million doesn't increase the total amount given to charity, then it's merely coming to the detriment of other charities, and decreases the total charity "give" by one million.

On the other hand, you've got to have some publicity, and the money you give is seldom going to directly help the people it's intended for. If you give a tramp £1 for a cup of tea in London, (assuming he doesn't buy a few cans of extra-strength lager), then most of that will go towards making other people richer - the cafe owner make his profit, his suppliers make theirs.

I give to one large charity, where the people going has as big an impact as the projects they work on with the people. (Anyone who's visited E. European orphanages will know that the fact of them going was hugely important to the kids and the staff - someone outside cares). The rest goes to specific projects, and I'm told exactly what they spend the money on. For some of those, I even allocate some of the donation to meet staff costs - I mean, they have to eat as well.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    And those fecking pointless things at clientco - Jim is walking the entire length of the Great Wall of China for charity, please think of others and sponsor generously. Feck that, Jim gets a £3k holiday of a lifetime and some needy person might get part of £50 after 'expenses'...

And those swanky celeb dinners with swarths of posh nosh to raise money for the starving!!
                    It's to raise awareness. It gets lots of free publicity and is probably more cost-effective than a national advertising campaign. And there's always the possibility of something really nasty happening to Jim along the way.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X