• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wipro boss Azim Premji to train UK students in Bangalore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wipro boss Azim Premji to train UK students in Bangalore

Wipro boss Azim Premji to train UK students in Bangalore - Telegraph

Azim Premji, the billionaire boss of Indian software group Wipro, is close to signing a deal with the Government to train British students in IT, engineering and software development – in Bangalore.

Mr Premji, the chairman of Wipro and India's third richest man, has offered to take third-year students from British universities to the company's headquarters in Bangalore for three months' intensive study and nine months on-the-job training with a view to returning them fit for work in the UK.

In an interview with The Telegraph in Davos, Mr Premji said his carefully designed training programme in India would better equip students than their courses in the UK.

"We have sophisticated courses – a mixture of classroom and practical training – which will make them employable anywhere in the world," he said.

Under Mr Premji's proposal, the British Government would pay around 25pc to 30pc of the training costs and the rest would be met by Wipro.

Mr Premji employs around 3,500 people in the UK, of which around a quarter are British. "This can be improved with the training," he said.

The tycoon, who has over four decades converted Wipro from a vegetable-oil producer into one of the leading IT services firms in the world, first put his idea to David Cameron when the prime minister visited India in 2010. The idea has since been discussed with officials in the Department of Education.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

As long as they don't have to work for Wipro afterwards, I'm not sure I'm against.

That said, if they train them to WIpro standards, then I'm pretty sure I'm against
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      As long as they don't have to work for Wipro afterwards, I'm not sure I'm against.

That said, if they train them to WIpro standards, then I'm pretty sure I'm against
      Sounds like he intends to employ them afterwards:

Mr Premji employs around 3,500 people in the UK, of which around a quarter are British. "This can be improved with the training," he said.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

This is so funny it's not funny

Three roles ago our offshore lot were WiPro, they had been trained up the the hilt in Sun Solaris and Sun Cluster, not one of them had a clue, honestly, it was all 'Mr stek, what to I press next?', and even my oft-repeated classic 'Mr stek, I am much worried to press return, will you logon and type the command please'

This guy was Solaris and Sun Cluster Certified.

I've not got one certificate!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          This is so funny it's not funny

Three roles ago our offshore lot were WiPro, they had been trained up the the hilt in Sun Solaris and Sun Cluster, not one of them had a clue, honestly, it was all 'Mr stek, what to I press next?', and even my oft-repeated classic 'Mr stek, I am much worried to press return, will you logon and type the command please'

This guy was Solaris and Sun Cluster Certified.

I've not got one certificate!
          And yet I know for a fact that Google outsource a lot of their software development to Wipro nowadays.

Comment

It is like Hitler being asked to teach Jews how to be prison camp guards
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              It is like Hitler being asked to teach Jews how to be prison camp guards
              How does this fit in with your negative viewpoint on the outlook for UK contractors?

Comment

Could this be the start of the golden age of contracting software testers?

Comment

I quite like Wipro.

Their breathtaking incompetence is making me very wealthy.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Course schedule:

Day 1: Doing the doings.

Day 2: Doing the needful.

Day 3: Not be having the environments.

Day 4: Deadlines - Today Morning.

Day 5: Why saying 'yes' doesn't mean you'll actually do the doings.

Congratulations. You now have a degree. You are now an Accenture senior consultant.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X