• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who most wants independence for Scotland? The English…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who most wants independence for Scotland? The English…

Who most wants independence for Scotland? The English

If the Union referendum were held south of the border, Alex Salmond would be more likely to get his way

An ICM poll for the Guardian, published last week, had a 55% majority of Scottish respondents agreeing with the SNP leader that "Scotland's future is a matter for the Scottish people alone". In England and Wales, two-thirds of those surveyed thought: "Scotland's future is very important for the whole UK and so should not be settled without the people of England and Wales being consulted in a referendum too." Tory-leaning voters were especially emphatic about that, three-quarters of them saying the fate of the Union should be decided by everyone in the Union.

It would be wrong, though, to conclude that the people of England want their own referendum in order to try to hold Scotland in the Union against its will. The opposite would be closer to the truth. Another recent poll, by YouGov for Prospect, indicated that only a small minority of English voters would be all that bothered by a break-up. Most were relaxed, and rather a lot positively embraced, the idea of a divorce. By 52% to 32%, English voters favoured either maximum devolution for Scotland or independence – a bigger margin of support for the SNP prospectus than there is in Scotland itself.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

You English seem to be kicking up more of a fuss over the issue of an independence referendum than the resident Scots. Not to mention the vitriol and general drivel aimed at Scotland and the Scottish people.

Why don't you get your own house in order first? You want Scotland out of the picture? Great, go get your own referendum. I suspect though that y'all will be dissapointed when Scotland will most likely still be part of the union for our lifetimes at least.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

So, despite all that anti-English rhetoric over the years, it seems the Scots want the union with the English after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        You English seem to be kicking up more of a fuss over the issue of an independence referendum than the resident Scots. Not to mention the vitriol and general drivel aimed at Scotland and the Scottish people.

Why don't you get your own house in order first? You want Scotland out of the picture? Great, go get your own referendum. I suspect though that y'all will be dissapointed when Scotland will most likely still be part of the union for our lifetimes at least.
        we'd need an English parliament for that first
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          So, despite all that anti-English rhetoric over the years, it seems the Scots want the union with the English after all.
          It's only for the children!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

I know I will be.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

England responds to Scottish independence calls:

Comment

Scotland, which had been celebrating its forthcoming independence by buying a speedboat, was last seen trying to trade it in for a second-hand aircraft carrier.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There are apparently only 250,000 private sector workers in Scotland. the remaining public sector jobs would disappear as they would be repatriated to England/Wales. This would include the removal of all the jobs at Rosyth which is one of Scotland's largest employers. the people who are most enthusiastic supporters of Independence are apparently the middle classes living in the outer regions of Scotland rather than the working (or not working) classes of Glasgow and Edinburgh.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    There are apparently only 250,000 private sector workers in Scotland. the remaining public sector jobs would disappear as they would be repatriated to England/Wales.
                    Well that's BT switchboard buggered.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X