• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar Panels.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Panels.....

Has anybody got them on their roof.

We can get some on our roof for free electricity but what are the downsides?

Originally posted by thelurker View Post
    Has anybody got them on their roof.
    Lots of people have them on the roof

We can get some on our roof for free electricity but what are the downsides?
    The downside of the roof are the eaves.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

but what are the downsides?
      well , some people might think you are a band-wagon-jumping, subsidy-rent-seeking scrounging, look-at-me-arnt-i-fcnk-saving-the-planet, watermelon turd

but not me.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        well , some people might think you are a band-wagon-jumping, subsidy-rent-seeking scrounging, look-at-me-arnt-i-fcnk-saving-the-planet, watermelon turd

but not me.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Get the type that heats up water, not the electricity-making ones.

Most of your electricity probably goes on heating water anyway.

Then you just need to hit 'boost' for a bit, rather than heating stone-cold water up from scratch.

Comment

If black absorbs heat best, why are solar panels silver - surely that reflects the heat?

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
              Get the type that heats up water, not the electricity-making ones.

Most of your electricity probably goes on heating water anyway.

Then you just need to hit 'boost' for a bit, rather than heating stone-cold water up from scratch.
              Giving sensible answers and suggestions is hardly entertaining for a Sunday evening

Comment

I read in "Sustainable Energy Without The Hot Air" the other moon that a solar panel laying flat on the ground is only about 10% less efficient than a south facing panel, in the UK. Can anyone confirm this? Note, this is not the same comparison as a panel tracking the sun avoiding 'cosine' losses. I read about a thing called airmass (38 times the 'airmass' along the horizon versus straight up) and how light attenuates and bends through the atmosphere in complex ways and was already to attempt to numerically integrate over the course of a day and year (sun angle is important as is the time at an angle, which goes with the sin of the angle) but decided it wasn't worth it at that point.

Comment

I bet the solar companies cant wait for the next decent storm....

Comment

Originally posted by amoeba View Post
                    I bet the solar companies cant wait for the next decent storm....
                    What about the wind turbine companies?

Comment

Working...
                    X