• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For once I agree with Blair

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For once I agree with Blair

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4757523.stm

Tony Blair has expressed dismay after the High Court ruled nine Afghan asylum seekers who hijacked a plane to Britain have won their bid to stay in the UK.

Mr Justice Sullivan said the nine could remain until it was safe to return.

The PM said the ruling was an "abuse of common sense" and should be overturned, and he is considering an appeal.

It followed the Afghan hostage drama at Stansted Airport in 2000 which led to a four day stand-off and asylum applications by 78 people on board.

"We can't have a situation in which people who hijack a plane, we're not able to deport back to their country," Mr Blair said.

"It's not an abuse of justice for us to order their deportation, it's an abuse of common sense frankly to be in a position where we can't do this.

To deter hijacking and international terrorism, individuals should not be "rewarded with leave to remain in the UK", the Home Office said.

WTF are these judges thinking of?

Hijack a plane with guns and bombs and you can live in Britain. FFS, give me strength

Unbelievable hypocrisy on his part. It was He-Who-Must-Be-Stabbed who signed us up for the sodding European human rights crap in the first place to prove HIS euro credentials. Fat lot of good it did at that either.

Pity we don't have a secret nationalist hit squad to reverse these idiotic legal decisions permanently.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
      Pity we don't have a secret nationalist hit squad to reverse these idiotic legal decisions permanently.
      Combat 18 ?
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I think the last one who did that killed guy who was pediatrician rather than paedophile...

Comment

Unbelievable hypocrisy on his part. It was He-Who-Must-Be-Stabbed who signed us up for the sodding European human rights crap in the first place to prove HIS euro credentials. Fat lot of good it did at that either.

Totally agree either:

This is all spin - record so far on illegal immigration is not good - but put the message out that the judges are to blame for fiasco for following Govt created law rather than those who make the law

He genuinely didn't see the implications when signing up for Human rights bollox

anyway I thought Blair signed all our powers over to Europe regarding who can or can't stay

stabity stab stab... the only way

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
            stabity stab stab... the only way
            No it's not. What's wrong with your ray gun?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              No it's not. What's wrong with your ray gun?
              It's slower and more painful

Comment

It's a common device in thriller movies (e.g. The Bourne Identity, Three Days Of The Condor) to have the hero hijack a passing stranger's car and hold them at gunpoint in order to escape from the baddies. They then go on to save the world or something. What if it got to the end of the film and the titles went up and then an extra scene came on showing the hero being sent down for ten years for hijacking and threatening death with a dangerous weapon?

What I mean is, these Afghanis didn't hijack the plane in order to fly it into a skyscraper, or so they could kill innocent passengers and crew unless their demands were met (though that was initially claimed apparently). They did it so they could escape persecution and reach freedom. Would you not do the same if you lived under a regime like that?

Comment

Well that's alright then.

They are really heroes. I feel much better about it now and if I'm ever in a plane full of Muslim types with AK47's and grenades I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Agree with Dang on this.

These guys werent hijacking a plane so they could murder jews or blow it up on a runway in the middle of some tulipty ayerab country! They were doing it out of desperation to flee their country.

I mean, how many of you here would have the balls to do the same if you were in the same situation (although the irony of blairs government looking more and more like the taliban is not lost on me! ).

AND...there should be consideration given for where these guys are going to be sent to. I wouldnt want to go back to Afghanistan, or Zimbabwe, or Australia!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X