• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[A Rant] The Power Of The Internet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[A Rant] The Power Of The Internet

If I still had a blog I would put this up there, but I don't anymore so you lot are gonna feel my wrath, or more likely annoyance.

The topic de jour on Twitter tonight has been how First Great Western (A big million pound organisation) cruelly and unfairly refused to exchange the ticket of a passenger who had an epileptic fit and was thus missed her train by three minutes.

These were the only facts, and this then launched the Twitterverse into an attack on First Great Western which ultimately forced them to apologies, hurrah a success for the power of mob intimidation.

9 times out of 10 I will ignore these "campaigns" usually because I don't know the full story, but more likely through apathy, however tonight I was set off. My first reaction was to send a message to the "victim" and offer my hopes that they were feeling better after their medical drama, secondly it was to ask for the full story. Did you collapse in the station? where staff on hand to give you first aid and so could be in all awareness of what has happened? Or had this happened else where and where you talking to a drone in a ticket office who had probably been there all day and heard every excuse under the sun about why someone had missed their train.

My problem with the internet is that is has the power to bring people to there knees with a misguided campaign, they have the power to be judge jury and executioner without having to be held accountable. I have no doubt the lady in question had the epileptic fit, but they lost my respect when the threw a firework into Twitter with only half a story.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Suity? Give Simon has account back.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      If I still had a blog I would put this up there, but I don't anymore
      That's a real shame.... for me....... as I've just wasted 60 seconds I'll never get back.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Suity? Give Simon has account back.
        Now that's uncalled for

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
          That's a real shame.... for me....... as I've just wasted 60 seconds I'll never get back.
          Do you have much of a life to waste to be on here at half ten on a Sunday night?

Comment

I dont have any sympathy. Why should GW refund?

Everyone from time to time misses a flight/bus/train due to illness/medical emergency/traffic jam/personal problems, that's life Im afraid.

If she was that unstable medically she should have had a chaperone or her doctor alter her medication before she travelled alone.

The only time I would have sympathy is if someone got stabbed on the platform for instance. Then that is something completely out of ones control and never something you can truly anticipate like traffic jams or an existing medical condition.

Even then, after getting stabbed, I think you would have more to worry about than a train fare.

Some people need to seriously grow up. The media does help some people get "justice", but usually, the wrong sort of people like that person. The real people who get screwed over are overlooked, probably because they arent welfare scroungers or crybabies trying to grab the limelight.

Comment

Do you have much of a life to waste to be on here at half ten on a Sunday night?
              More of life than you it seems. After all, I'm not the one who can be arsed to follow twitter's hot topics and then post almost 300 words of bollocks on here about it afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                More of life than you it seems. After all, I'm not the one who can be arsed to follow twitter's hot topics and then post almost 300 words of bollocks on here about it afterwards.
                You counted, you must be bored

Comment

You counted, you must be bored
                  Of course I didn't. The only thing I did count were the two times you used "where" instead of "were".

Comment

Working...
                  X