• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Financial Transaction Tax in August

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial Transaction Tax in August

French president Nicolas Sarkozy to bring in 0.1pc Financial Transaction Tax in August

President Nicolas Sarkozy, who is trailing heavily in the polls ahead of April's election, said France would go it alone in a bid to "create a shock" and inspire other European countries to follow his lead. That is despite vocal opposition from other EU leaders, not least David Cameron.

France's plans came amid an escalating row over German demands for independent scrutiny of Greece's finances and the ongoing lack of a firm debt-swap deal with private holders of Greek bonds.

Source: French president Nicolas Sarkozy to bring in 0.1pc Financial Transaction Tax in August - Telegraph

Viva la France!

In the UK such Financial Transaction Tax is known as "Stamp Duty", though for some reason hot air tulip sellers escape it where as people who make long term investments like buying a house have to pay up. It makes sense really - 0.1% transaction tax is great because it will help encourage long term investment (if it goes up to something like stamp duty is at the moment) and discourage economically pointless buy/sell lots of stuff within a fraction of a second to make money on financial arbitrage.

That and lovely Carla Bruni get my vote!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Viva la France!

That and lovely Carla Bruni get my vote!
    I could not agree more. And in London we look forward to an influx of French banks and Bankers here. They will be very welcome.

Comment

Working...
    X