• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and Medical Operations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting and Medical Operations

Before NLUK comes up and starts telling me to search, I have, and I haven't found the answer to my question so FOAD mate!

I am no medical expert but I know my knee is ****ed, and more than likely gonna need an operation to get it sorted out as driving at the moment is only making it worse and I don't want to have to go down the line of an automatic car any day soon, now logic would dictate to do this while on the bench, which fingers crossed is looking like June/July time.

For the time lines I want I guess I would have to go private for a scan and then op based on the findings as waiting for the NHS will no doubt be a ball ache. Now the scrooge in me say's how can I do this in the most cost effective way, is there an option to buy some sort of insurance that can pay my daily rate if I am unable to work after the operation? Would this only be allowed if i was in contract? Or can it be done while benched using an average of past rates etc?

If push comes to shove I will just take the hit and pay what ever it takes to get my knee sorted as to replace the entire knee will cost no more than £10k, so a £5k or so to stop the pain once and for all is peanuts.

(PS no "knee op" is not an eupahism for moob reduction, gender swapping or any other pre/post op joke you can throw in)
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Sorry to hear about the knee. Looks after your knees some wise singer said.

To be honest, this normally falls into the realm of your private healthcare insurance which could have paid for the operation(privately) PLUS some loss of earnings(if you'd insured for that).

So it depends on whether you have already been to the Doctors about this. If you have, then (a) it's a pre-existing condition and no medical insurer is going to touch you for a pre-existing condition in the last two years. If it's the opposite and you havent been to a doctor then either b) You are correct about your prognosis because you once part time studied medicine so you could take out insurance to the hilt and go for it in six months claiming some dirty Northern bastard fouled you on the football pitch or c) You're wrong and have watched too much Doogie Howser and/or are an incredible bedwetting nancy who's got a bit of a stiff knee.

a, b or c?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Sorry to hear about the knee. Looks after your knees some wise singer said.

To be honest, this normally falls into the realm of your private healthcare insurance which could have paid for the operation(privately) PLUS some loss of earnings(if you'd insured for that).

So it depends on whether you have already been to the Doctors about this. If you have, then (a) it's a pre-existing condition and no medical insurer is going to touch you for a pre-existing condition in the last two years. If it's the opposite and you havent been to a doctor then either b) You are correct about your prognosis because you once part time studied medicine so you could take out insurance to the hilt and go for it in six months claiming some dirty Northern bastard fouled you on the football pitch or c) You're wrong and have watched too much Doogie Howser and/or are an incredible bedwetting nancy who's got a bit of a stiff knee.

a, b or c?
      Haven't been to the doctor and have no intention to until I know what the deal is as to going private so thats one tick. As for B or C I don't really care, if it is nothing all the better, however as some morning I am doubled up in pain unable to move my knee and when driving long distances with lots of gear changes my left knee swells up to three times its normal size I think its a safe to say there is an underlaying issue.

With the loss of earnings/income protection are there specific terms that need to be worked out as I am a contractor, and thus my LtdCo could keep paying me?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Before NLUK comes up and starts telling me to search, I have, and I haven't found the answer to my question so FOAD mate!
        I have never told the old heads to do a search. That is reserved for newbies...

I have had 3 knee ops all private. Two cartilage and one to clean up a broken cruciate ligament. If you go private you can get a scan and be in for the op in less than a week. Go in early morning, have keyhole surgery and be out again by mid afternoon. Bit of swelling for a week and your as good as gold. It's bloody amazing. 10 years ago they would have had to take your knee cap off and leave you with a 2 foots scar down your shin.

I have to say I cannot remember how much it cost but it wasn't extremely excessive and worth having it done private to get a good job and get on your feet quickly!

Thats assuming you have a cartilage or ligament problem ofc.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I have never told the old heads to do a search. That is reserved for newbies...

I have had 3 knee ops all private. Two cartilage and one to clean up a broken cruciate ligament. If you go private you can get a scan and be in for the op in less than a week. Go in early morning, have keyhole surgery and be out again by mid afternoon. Bit of swelling for a week and your as good as gold. It's bloody amazing. 10 years ago they would have had to take your knee cap off and leave you with a 2 foots scar down your shin.

I have to say I cannot remember how much it cost but it wasn't extremely excessive and worth having it done private to get a good job and get on your feet quickly!

Thats assuming you have a cartilage or ligament problem ofc.
          I am classed as an old head? Awww shucks

Did you pay for the costs out of your own pocket, or was it via some sort of healthcare plan?

Comment

My uncle suffered terribly with pain in both knees, agonising he said it was.

He died two weeks later.

HTH BIDI.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              I am classed as an old head? Awww shucks

Did you pay for the costs out of your own pocket, or was it via some sort of healthcare plan?
              Ok Old knees if you want!

I was with PPP at the time through permie job sorry. It can seem like your knee is screwed but it only takes some dislodged cartiladge or a tear to agrivate it and stop it moving.

Comment

Here..

What does it cost?
                The cost of a knee arthroscopy operation in a UK private hospital or clinic is around £1,800 to £2,500, inclusive of private hospital charges and consultant’s fees. The operation can normally be undertaken without the need for an overnight stay in hospital.

from

Arthoscopy Knee operation - Private Surgery in the UK

I thought £1800 rang a bell..

Costs for different ops here..

Knee Surgery / Operations

Comment

If you've got plenty of time and you're paying for it privately anyway then why not use the NHS system to get diagnosed properly? Once that's done and you know when you're going to be able to schedule it in go private. Probably the same consultant you'll deal with in the NHS anyway but the difference is that you'll get private benefits*.

Consider going to see a premium physio to see if there's a non-invasive alternative. I've had long-term knee problems and good physio is the only thing that has stopped me needing even more operations. If you're in London then I can recommend an excellent one.

If you must go under the knife, get recommendations from others as there's a vast difference between the butchers and skilled surgeons who all operate in the same area**

* Private hospitals give inclusive happy endings as part of the pain management process for joint operations. It's true. If you haven't had one then you need to go back for either a refund or late treatment.
                  ** sic

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                    If you've got plenty of time and you're paying for it privately anyway then why not use the NHS system to get diagnosed properly? Once that's done and you know when you're going to be able to schedule it in go private. Probably the same consultant you'll deal with in the NHS anyway but the difference is that you'll get private benefits*.

Consider going to see a premium physio to see if there's a non-invasive alternative. I've had long-term knee problems and good physio is the only thing that has stopped me needing even more operations. If you're in London then I can recommend an excellent one.

If you must go under the knife, get recommendations from others as there's a vast difference between the butchers and skilled surgeons who all operate in the same area**

* Private hospitals give inclusive happy endings as part of the pain management process for joint operations. It's true. If you haven't had one then you need to go back for either a refund or late treatment.
                    ** sic
                    Time is the one thing I don't have, I know I am going to take a two months being benched after this gig, I want it all done in that space of time

Comment

Working...
                    X