• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

News from the garden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News from the garden

Well folks, looks like spring is well and truly round the corner.

A little tour of the garden here at Pacha Towers this morning confirmed this.

Snowdrops are putting in a wonderful display carpeting the area under my magnolia tree. Blooms were somewhat obfuscated by the frosty backdrop though.

I noticed also that my winter aconites have made an appearance - their dainty little yellow blooms peeping up from their ruffs of lanceolate leaves.

The buds of my forsythia are now burgeoning promising a spectacular splash of yellow for February.

My only concern is for my daffodils which I fear may have popped up a little prematurely. Likewise, my Rhodedendron which had been blooming all autumn right up to Christmas; Not sure what sort of a display we will have this April.

How are your gardens looking?

Nooooo!!!! We've only just finished sweeping up the leaves.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Picked a few coconuts, bananas and other exotic fruits from them this morning. The Caribbean weather has been beautiful here on my private island.

I'd say more, but I fear the wrath of the OP who started the "Don't flatter yourselves" thread.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

I have started "chitting" potatoes & working out planting plans for the veggies, I really CBA with flowers as there is no practical return on the time, but I enjoy growing & eating the veggies, this year’s new comer is the rhubarb (just need to find a nice big pot to contain it)
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

I got some DIY chillies for xmas. When do I start them off?
          Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Mine is still dug up. I had a few bodies to bury. Hopefully I can cover them over soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              I have started "chitting" potatoes & working out planting plans for the veggies, I really CBA with flowers as there is no practical return on the time, but I enjoy growing & eating the veggies, this year’s new comer is the rhubarb (just need to find a nice big pot to contain it)
              Originally posted by Uncle Monty

Flowers are simply tarts; prostitutes for the bees.

I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium.

There is a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about a firm, young carrot...

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                I really CBA with flowers as there is no practical return on the time
                Oh I couldn't disagree more!

The sheer joy of admiring my delphiniums on a hot summer's day surpasses everything IMO.

Incidentally, are you going to address your mower situation before the growing season begins?

Comment

My only concern is for my daffodils which I fear may have popped up a little prematurely.
                  Have a word with AtW. This "premature popping" is a conundrum that has dogged him for years now.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I dug up some wild garlic bulbs from our local wood last autumn for my mum and they've sprouted and the leaves are smelling garlicy already. They probably won't flower until May. The whole area in the wood turns white with garlic flowers in May and on the opposite side of the bank are bluebells. It looks quite magical. All gone within a month, most odd species.

Might be a bit of a bare patch this year from where I took some.

Comment

Working...
                    X