• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stay or should I go

Ok, I am confuddled

I'm looking forward to contracting... really think it will be a great experience.

but then, I get a call from an agent offering to put me forward for a permy position with alot more money than my previous position plus possibly DV Clearance on a very cool project which will take couple years.

Even if only stay with them for 3-5 years, I'd still get the clearance - which surely opens up alot more doors if choose to try contracting again.

What would you do?

Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Ok, I am confuddled

I'm looking forward to contracting... really think it will be a great experience.

but then, I get a call from an agent offering to put me forward for a permy position with alot more money than my previous position plus possibly DV Clearance on a very cool project which will take couple years.

Even if only stay with them for 3-5 years, I'd still get the clearance - which surely opens up alot more doors if choose to try contracting again.

What would you do?
    Pointless asking me, mate.

I've been a contractor for 25 years and learned to make my own decisions years before that.

Comment

With this amount of thought and decision making ability I would tell you to go permy. Contracting is going to kill you....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like a dream job.

If you like to be a contractor then just pretend you're on a three year contract!.

Yes, DV people are like rocking-horse poo at the moment...AWE Aldermaston is soaking-up the UK pool.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
          Sounds like a dream job.

If you like to be a contractor then just pretend you're on a three year contract!.

Yes, DV people are like rocking-horse poo at the moment...AWE Aldermaston is soaking-up the UK pool.
          Could you put your wife back on please.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ok, I am confuddled

What would you do?
            It's a no-brainer. Take the permy role and get the clearance. Working on a goof project would just make it all the sweeter.
            Except for working for a boss on a salary which is a bit of a bummer. Oh and clearance always runs out before you need it next , and once you are in the pemie mindset you will atrophy. So it's obvious, take the contracting route

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If you're happy with the money and the role then go for it....
              All the while, takea few interviews for contracts, if you get nothing then nothing lost. If you're offered a contract then you can make an informed decision.
              Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Could you put your wife back on please.
                Could somebody PM me with: how to work that 'ignore' list that I've heard mentioned please?

Thanks...Found it......
                Last edited by KimberleyChris; 31 January 2012, 17:42.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  It's a no-brainer. Take the permy role and get the clearance. Working on a goof project would just make it all the sweeter.
                  Except for working for a boss on a salary which is a bit of a bummer. Oh and clearance always runs out before you need it next , and once you are in the pemie mindset you will atrophy. So it's obvious, take the contracting route
                  Originally posted by The Rep Button
                  You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to EternalOptimist again.
                  Well said Sir!

Comment

Ok, I am confuddled

What would you do?
                    Bad enough working in SC environments... DV is not the cash converter it used to be, even when offered a role last year involving DV clearance I did better staying out of the department in question. and going back to the private sector.

Comment

Working...
                    X