• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That'll sort the Argies out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That'll sort the Argies out

Destroyer sets sail for Falklands to head off any 'foolish nonsense' | News

Britain today ordered one of its most powerful warships to the South Atlantic amid rising tensions with Argentina over the Falkland Islands.

HMS Dauntless, a brand-new Type 45 destroyer bristling with the latest anti-aircraft defences, will go on a seven-month patrol spanning the celebrations to mark the islands' liberation 30 years ago.

It will be there at the same time as Prince William, who is being posted to the Falklands in his role as a helicopter rescue pilot.

The Ministry of Defence said it was a "routine" deployment and pure coincidence that Dauntless is being sent to the area at a time when Argentina has been ratcheting up pressure against British sovereignty over the islands it calls Las Malvinas.

Dauntless is taking over from HMS Montrose, a Type 23 frigate and a less powerful warship by far.

Tory MP Julian Brazier, a member of the defence select committee, said: "This sends a very powerful and timely message to Argentina that Britain means business when it comes to defending the Falklands.

"These islanders want to remain British and any oil or gas found in its waters will be British.

"I do not believe there is any immediate or short-term military threat, but there is no question that Argentina has been stepping up its rhetoric and trying to build alliances against us."

HMS Dauntless will deploy to the South Atlantic in late March, almost 30 years to the day that the Royal Navy task force left Portsmouth on its mission to liberate the Falklands after Argentina invaded in 1982.

Dauntless is a £1billion warship armed with supersonic Sea Viper missiles, radar and an air defence system said to be capable of shooting a cricket ball moving at three times the speed of sound out of the sky.

David Cameron chaired a special meeting of the National Security Committee two weeks ago to review the Government's strategy to safeguard the Falklands. The former head of the Navy Lord West, a Falklands War hero, recently called for a nuclear submarine to be sent to the area as a deterrent. He said today: "The Type 45s are becoming a key part of our modern force.

"They've got the most amazing anti-air warfare capability. Should there be any foolish nonsense from Argentina, Dauntless can sit just off the airfield and take down any aircraft coming in. It's a game-changing capability."

Former Army chief General Sir Michael Jackson claimed it would be "impossible" to win back the Falklands if there was another invasion because of military cuts.

A Royal Navy spokesman said: "The Royal Navy has had a continuous presence in the South Atlantic for many years. The deployment of HMS Dauntless to the South Atlantic has been long planned, is entirely routine and replaces another ship on station."

capable of shooting a cricket ball moving at three times the speed of sound out of the sky

Perhaps they should lend one to England's cricket team
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

When reading an article the other day it was mentioned that the UK no longer have any active aircraft carriers or Harrier Jump Jets so could not repeat the successes of the last Falklands war.

Is that correct?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      When reading an article the other day it was mentioned that the UK no longer have any active aircraft carriers or Harrier Jump Jets so could not repeat the successes of the last Falklands war.

Is that correct?
      Yes all sea harriers have been withdrawn so we have no fixed wing naval capability, however the Falklands do have several Typoons stationed there - enough to make a mess of any invasion attempt

Comment

Errrrr....

Dum-de-dum-de-dum.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
          Errrrr....

Dum-de-dum-de-dum.
          That's very Astute of you.

On the plus side, my FI oily shares are going to be worth a mint.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Well spotted.

Dolphins?

Comment

bollocks.
              absolute bollocks.

anything capable of shooting a cricket ball out of the air should be seconded to the fckng English cricket team asap, and send the batsmen to the falklands to 'knock the argies for six'

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Is that correct?
                  Well we sold all the harriers to the US at a knock down price.

I suppose we could lease them back again. Don't worry David has a plan. Somewhere in the Swiss alps I believe.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Pray there's never an attack on Skye, the entire fleet would be disabled when the tide is out...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X