• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handing over work.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handing over work.

Have been asked to handover the two streams of work I have been responsible for at clientco for the last 18 months and as SME to ensure that as much knowledge is transferred to others as possible. I need to handover the first one to two people(one BA and on support person), the second to one BA & two other support members.

Everything is eRoomed. There are dozens of specs and 100's of supporting documents as well as access to databases / other folders etc.

I've put together a top level summary sheet for each project with the key stakeholders, individuals etc, logins / passwords and links to the relevant documents I think they need to read.

Do I need to do a big presentation/run through???

What else should I be doing?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Have been asked to handover the two streams of work I have been responsible for at clientco for the last 18 months and as SME to ensure that as much knowledge is transferred to others as possible. I need to handover the first one to two people(one BA and on support person), the second to one BA & two other support members.

Everything is eRoomed. There are dozens of specs and 100's of supporting documents as well as access to databases / other folders etc.

I've put together a top level summary sheet for each project with the key stakeholders, individuals etc, logins / passwords and links to the relevant documents I think they need to read.

Do I need to do a big presentation/run through???

Run before they find out how crap you are!

Comment

Looking for a new contract - you're being replaced
      Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
        Looking for a new contract - you're being replaced
        Just been extended. Working on a brand new project, hence the requirement to handover everything else to the permie team members and free up my time.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Make it absolutely sure to all parties that you want f all to do with these once they are handed over. Offer a warranty period where you will help for a bit but agree a cut of date after which you want nothing else to do with it..

OR

Don't give them everything, keep them in the dark just enough for them to do the tedious crap but not enough for them to sort it so you need to keep a hand in and stay invaluable and happy to sign future contracts to help suppot...
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just been extended. Working on a brand new project, hence the requirement to handover everything else to the permie team members and free up my time.
            That old chestnut...

yes I know about the extension - 2 years and that...

In all seriousness, the best way to do this is do a formal KT process where the deliverable is for those picking up the work to create a summary / design / support document - whichever is the most appropriate - i.e. is it for maintenance or are they looking to develop this further.

Then you review their deliverable to judge if they've successfully picked up what you've told them. Just pointing them at eRooms will be a shocker.

The winner here is that you've got more than just their word for them understanding and taking ownership and less chance of being backstabbed later on when they say how unhelpful you were.

p.s. thanks for the -ve earlier
            Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Do I need to do a big presentation/run through
              ???

Yes, and the end.. ask “are the are questions or queries” … No more questions… good everything is clear… no comebacks.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You can document everything to the nth degree, at the end of the day if the replacement resources don't fundamentally "get it" they won't be any use.

When your role is sufficiently complex, the only effective handover is to "embed" the new resources into the team for a period of time, giving them increasingly challenging pieces of work, and then feeding back the good/bad bits. This also gives you the opportunity, if the replacements identified by the clientco are cr*p, to quietly inform the client PM that there's a risk they won't be able to hack it on their own.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                X