• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you ever been on benefits?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever been on benefits?

Following this thread I figured it'd be interesting to get an idea who has actually been in a position to rely on benefits payments at any point.

I did for a few months when I was made redundant from my first job out of university after only a year - I got JSA and full housing benefit which allowed me to concentrate on finding a proper job which used my degree.

Anyone else? Or on the other hand, who has never seriously been at risk of going without due to family or whatever?
    I've depended on benefits at some point in my life
    33.33%
    I've claimed when eligible since it was available
    23.53%
    I've been eligible but didn't bother claiming
    13.73%
    I refused to claim on principle
    5.88%
    I've never been eligible
    21.57%
    AndyW steals my milk money
    1.96%
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Nope.

Carried on with my holiday employer after Uni til I found a 'proper' job.

Comment

ten years here. I was a single parent when I left the army

and I had to beg steal and borrow.
      well, stealing mostly. i was never a good begger and no fcker had anything to lend to me anyhow

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I am mid-30's, and have been on Dole/Jobseekers allowance for a total of 8 weeks of my life since i began working at around the age of 18.

4 weeks were when i lost my job at around the age of 19/20 (i really needed this, managed to find another job pronto)

The other 4 weeks around a year ago when i claimed JSA when i was on the bench after my 1st ever gig (in hindsight, i shouldn't have bothered).
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I did about twelve months on the dole 1985 - 1986. IIRC I got around £32 a week, plus Housing Benefit that covered the rent (which was inclusive of rates and water rates) on my crappy bedsit. There were loads of other people on the dole at that time, particularly young people, so it wasn't too bad. Used to have some good times, chilling out at somebody's flat all afternoon, having a whip-round for a bottle of Night Train Express (cheap American red wine), then home to what little food was left in the place

The important thing was to buy enough food for two weeks as soon as you cashed your Giro, otherwise you risked a couple of days with nothing to eat at the end of the fortnight because you'd spent too long in the pub

Comment

Will be entitled to SMP when the enhanced Mat pay runs out but it's the only benefit I've ever received.

Oh and we now get Child Benefit too, does that count as being on benefits?
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              Is it a flat sum or means-tested? I'd suggest benefits everyone is able to claim don't count for the poll, but whatever you prefer
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yep Nick. I was famous for having 'tins in'

I used to buy two weeks worth of tinned food, spuds and put a few bob aside for bread and milk.

It is truly amazing what concoctions you can come up with, with a tin and a few bits. What works well and what doesnt

Spaghetti hoops - with cheese melted in
                Baked beans - with an oxo cube
                Ravioli - curry powder and chille flakes
                Spag Bol - on its own on toast
                corned beef - fried in cheese
                Irish stew - loads of black pepper
                Tomato soup - loads of black pepper

all with chips and bread

Tried chappie once, but the daughter found the tin and cried because I told her that I had to take her new dog back because it peed on the living room carpet

home brew
                home made wine

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  Will be entitled to SMP when the enhanced Mat pay runs out but it's the only benefit I've ever received.

Sponger.

I think I tried to claim once when I a teenager and didn't get anywhere, but I've clicked the 'never been eligible'. I've never had a problem getting a job of some kind at
                  any point in my life. My problem used to be keeping it.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Immigrant Sponger.
                    FTFY
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X