• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Avoidance Attack on Newsnight 01/02/12

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Avoidance Attack on Newsnight 01/02/12

It might be worth watching Newsnight tonight, seems likely that there will be piece on 'avoidance' using limited companies!!

The chief executive of the Student Loan Company, Ed Lester, was the subject of a Newsnight investigation on BBC2 on Wednesday night, the investigation was carried out by Exaro News in conjunction with the Newsnight team.

The core ‘allegation’ was that Mr Lester has been using his own company to avoid tax on the payment of his fees for his work as the Student Loan Company chief. Nothing that he has done is illegal and has simply arranged his affairs to keep his tax bill as low as possible.

Ed Lester, chief executive of the Student Loans Company, was paid through his own company, Placepass Limited, a private company rather than being paid direct – a legal tax avoidance mechanism thought to reduce his income tax liability by £40,000 a year.

Documents show the deal was signed off by David Willetts, the Universities minister, who said in a letter that it had been “agreed by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury” Danny Alexander.

Mr Alexander insisted he did not know that the arrangement allowed him to avoid tax, and has ordered an urgent investigation across Whitehall to see if the practice is widespread.

He is paid a basic salary of £140,000 a year, and can qualify annually for a £14,000 bonus and a cash pension contribution of £28,000, taking his total pay to £182,000, via the head-hunter which placed him with the Student Loan Company.

Mr Lester, a former chief executive of NHS Direct, was hired as interim chief executive in May 2010 before the deal was made permanent in December 2010. His two year contract runs from 1 February 2011 to 31 January 2013.

Mr Lester to pay corporation tax of 20 per cent, rather than up to 52 per cent, income tax & national insurance on his earnings. Any funds extracted from the company could be liable for additional personal tax. Of course the Student Loan Company will also save money as it will not be liable to employer’s NIC on the payments to Mr Lester, a saving of over £20,000.

Mr Alexander’s spokesman insisted he had not been aware of “any potential tax benefit”, insisting that Mr Lester’s terms were agreed by the Department for Business.

He said: “Terms and conditions are negotiated by the appointing department, and presented to the Chief Secretary for approval of the salary level.

“The Chief Secretary approved the overall pay, at a reduced rate and in a continuation of the interim arrangements previously agreed. The Chief Secretary was not made aware of any potential tax benefit to an individual.

“The Chief Secretary has now asked the Treasury to urgently review the appropriateness of allowing public sector appointees to be paid through an agency by a personal service company.”
    A Business, Innovation and Skills spokesman added: “The Department adopted the correct processes and was satisfied it had come up with a package that met the relevant guidelines including value for money.

“Terms and conditions were negotiated by the SLC and BIS, and presented to the Chief Secretary of the Treasury for approval of the salary level. Details of the arrangements were transparent throughout, including through published accounts.”

A fairly distinguished list of people ok'd this as well although one of them denied any knowledge of there being any person gains by allowing him to bill through his LTD than becoming an employee..... Really??

There is a gonna be a panic now. I bet a lot of people are doing this and those that sanctioned it are going to be twitching right now as well. The public seem to be in the mood for this at the moment.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thank feck I work as a self employed person in Germany and not as a 1 man (plus or minus his/her wife/partner/husband/gimp as a secretary) Ltd in the Uk
      Last edited by chef; 1 February 2012, 19:26.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I am personally more concerned about the fact that "Student Loan Company" CEO gets basic salary of £140k.

It's not like he has to compete with many other companies to get best students or make good ROI by only loaning money to those who will succeed, why such high salary in the first place?

Comment

Sloppy reporting again. It won't reduce his income tax bill by one penny. It will reduce his NICs though.

But I do have one nagging thought though - if he declares himself inside IR35, what exactly is the problem?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Sloppy reporting again. It won't reduce his income tax bill by one penny. It will reduce his NICs though.

But I do have one nagging thought though - if he declares himself inside IR35, what exactly is the problem?
            As the boss of the company who controls what he does.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Watched this, didn't rate the tax barrister.......

I'd like to have seen the assumptions, I did spy that they had included a wife's salary but could not see how much.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                I am personally more concerned about the fact that "Student Loan Company" CEO gets basic salary of £140k.

It's not like he has to compete with many other companies to get best students or make good ROI by only loaning money to those who will succeed, why such high salary in the first place?
                But that isn't a high salary for a CEO. It's very low.
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Did they mention his IR35 status? This would be an interesting case for HMRC to review.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                    Did they mention his IR35 status? This would be an interesting case for HMRC to review.
                    They will never touch it with a bargepole.
                    The IT industry is relatively young compared to Management/Accountancy/Law/Medical/media professions. This game has been employed by them for much longer. I was always surprised that
                    when IR35 came up it only targeted the IT profession. Do you lot not remember the HMRC official that quit his post and went straight back in on the Monday as a consultant. That story sank faster than the titanic. I believe that most TV personalities work the Management Company route as well so it must be quite hard to be rattling that can while employing it yourselves...

Comment

Working...
                    X