• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dem landslide

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lib Dem landslide

It's only a council by-election but...

Madeley Ward, Newcastle-under-Lyme BC. LD gain from Lab. LD 617 (47.7%, +21.7), Lab 342 (26.4%, -7.9), Con 294 (22.7%, -8.9), UKIP 41 (3.2%, -4.8). Swing of 14.8% from Lab to LD.

I thought all the polls were saying the Lib Dems were dead in the water?? Or is there something fishy going on here?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Would have thought Newcastle way would have been Labour stronghold.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I would guess that there was some special circumstances here, perhaps the labour candidate was involved in a scandal? I would not make a prediction based on this.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

True, true, I will be ineterested to see what it is...

Only 1,300 votes as well...
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Would have thought Newcastle way would have been Labour stronghold.
          Newcastle-under-Lyme not Newcastle upon Tyne you sausage eating numpty!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Newcastle-under-Lyme not Newcastle upon Tyne you sausage eating numpty!
            Eh, there's two Newcastle's?

I prefer Schnitzel.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Eh, there's two Newcastle's?

I prefer Schnitzel.
              Yep, one oop north the other not.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Yep, one oop north the other not.
                They're both 'up north' to me.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                  They're both 'up north' to me.

WHS. And both no doubt full of benefit sponging chavs who'd never vote Tory anyway.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                    I thought all the polls were saying the Lib Dems were dead in the water?? Or is there something fishy going on here?
                    Local and national are too different things. I think that the local LD council has been better than the Labour one was before that, so would vote LD at the next local elections.

I wouldn't do the same thing in a general election, though.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X