• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sicily's Pitchfork Rebellion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sicily's Pitchfork Rebellion

Interesting this.

Like the Occupy movement but instead of disgruntled students, the core is largely older, middle class folks. It appears that they have succeeded where Occupy failed and have effectively closed the island down.

Not a mention in the MSM though. Not a dickie bird.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Interesting this.

Like the Occupy movement but instead of disgruntled students, the core is largely older, middle class folks. It appears that they have succeeded where Occupy failed and have effectively closed the island down.

Not a mention in the MSM though. Not a dickie bird.
    Did anyone notice that they "closed the island down" ?
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

yes it started on the 16th and took two days to shut the island down

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
      Did anyone notice that they "closed the island down" ?

yes it started on the 16th and took two days to shut the island down
      There seems to be quite a bit of violence in Libya too. Thus seems to be getting conveniently ignored too.

Comment

On January 16th, middle class Sicilians began a popular uprising appropriately called the ‘Pitchfork Movement’…’Movimento Dei Forconi’.
        There are shades of the Occupy movement within it, but the core is not dissatisfied unemployed youth with no property or businesses to lose.
        They are middle aged and older. They know that what they have left has been targeted by their own elites to bear the economic pain.
        The other difference is size. Sicily’s five million people, their grass roots people, have occupied themselves.
        So of course the story caught my eye and I then checked the mainstream media sites to look at what I was sure to be some great video. Wrong! So far, there is almost nothing.
        I went back to check my date…and yes it started on the 16th and took two days to shut the island down, nothing going in or out. That was almost two weeks ago and I just learned today, and I can assure you I am not a hermit.
        Can you image the Occupy Wall street people having shut Manhattan down of two weeks with no European coverage? Sure, it’s Sicily and not Manhattan…but it’s big, 25,000 sq km. That is what I used the space station feature photo.
        What could corporate media possibly be afraid of? Well grab your seats, and here it is:
        Sicily is Rising
        The arrest of all corrupt politicians
        Reduction in the number of Parliamentarians
        Removal of the provincial bureaucracy (local crooks), as most of these politicians have been there for over forty years
        Drastic cuts in the salaries and privileges of Parliamentarians and Senators
        Restricting politicians to only two terms in office
        Read full post here

As opposed to the Occupy movement which is represented by benefit scroungers and public sector workers with an entitlement attitude. Furthermore this hits at the heart of what is wrong with society which is the corruption and incompetence of those charged with running public sector monopolies.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          [I]
          As opposed to the Occupy movement which is represented by benefit scroungers and public sector workers with an entitlement attitude. Furthermore this hits at the heart of what is wrong with society which is the corruption and incompetence of those charged with running public sector monopolies.
          I don’t know about the UK movement but in the USA the majority in Occupy movement are people who have been made homeless by foreclosures. Many foreclosures in the USA are made illegally but without legal funding they cannot fight the banks. If someone no longer has work, is forced out their home and has no state benefits then what?
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I don’t know about the UK movement but in the USA the majority in Occupy movement are people who have been made homeless by foreclosures. Many foreclosures in the USA are made illegally but without legal funding they cannot fight the banks. If someone no longer has work, is forced out their home and has no state benefits then what?
            My point here is that the Sicilians are protesting at incompetence and corruption within the state. They are not protesting that society owes them a living. As far as the Americans are concerned then if they have been foreclosed illegally and bullied out of gaining redress by virtue of having no money they are being denied rights that are enshrined in law - so they have a legitimate cause.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

My point here is that the Sicilians are protesting at incompetence and corruption within the state. They are not protesting that society owes them a living. As far as the Americans are concerned then if they have been foreclosed illegally and bullied out of gaining redress by virtue of having no money they are being denied rights that are enshrined in law - so they have a legitimate cause.
              And so is the occupy movement in no uncertain terms protesting at incompetence and corruption within the state. I think the issue is what is crap is reported on the the BBC, SKY and Fox.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                And so is the occupy movement in no uncertain terms protesting at incompetence and corruption within the state. I think the issue is what is crap is reported on the the BBC, SKY and Fox.
                The Occupy movement is protesting against capitalism and it is saying that more tax should be levied. The Sicilians and the americans are questioning how the tax is being spent and how those that are spending it are standing up to their responsibilities.

Comment

The Occupy movement is protesting against capitalism and it is saying that more tax should be levied. The Sicilians and the americans are questioning how the tax is being spent and how those that are spending it are standing up to their responsibilities.
                  Yes quite.

And has been pointed out time and time again those in the Occupy movement are the ones who put the least in but stand to gain the most (or so they think) from tax hikes.

Comment

Working...
                  X