PDA

View Full Version : Opting or Opting out

DodgyAgent
3rd February 2012, 12:19
I have a belgian taking a 6 month contract and he has a bee in his bonnet about what is meant by opt in or opt out.
Some of the aspects of these seem worrying such as if he opts in will he have to be CRB checked? opting out means that he may not get paid for work he does.
I just want to understand some sort of perspective that is easy for him to understand whereby he will just opt out or opt in and just get on with it. the problem with it all as far as I can see is that it is all designed to protect low level temporary workers, but it just happens to have drawn in contractors who have to comply.
It is driving me mad
Is there somewhere I can get a simple understanding and perspective of it?

rd409
3rd February 2012, 13:12
I have a belgian taking a 6 month contract and he has a bee in his bonnet about what is meant by opt in or opt out.
Some of the aspects of these seem worrying such as if he opts in will he have to be CRB checked? opting out means that he may not get paid for work he does.
I just want to understand some sort of perspective that is easy for him to understand whereby he will just opt out or opt in and just get on with it. the problem with it all as far as I can see is that it is all designed to protect low level temporary workers, but it just happens to have drawn in contractors who have to comply.
It is driving me mad
Is there somewhere I can get a simple understanding and perspective of it?

You are an agent. Force him to opt out.
HTH.
Dave.

DodgyAgent
3rd February 2012, 13:27
You are an agent. Force him to opt out.
HTH.
Dave.

I dont care what he does as long as he does something.

northernladuk
3rd February 2012, 13:33
Have you asked him to read the guides on this very site or search the forums???

Arturo Bassick
3rd February 2012, 13:34
If he has already been interviewed and offered then he is opted in unless you want to make a back dated opt out which is probably illegal.

If he is opted in then YOU have certain legal obligations. You are required that he is qualified and experienced, that he is who he says he is etc.

Have you read the regulations? I thought you were a rec con?

SimonMac
3rd February 2012, 13:36
Have you told him he's not cut out for this contracting lark?

northernladuk
3rd February 2012, 13:40
Have you told him he's not cut out for this contracting lark?

He's a ******* agent, he isn't cut out for anything, that's why he is an agent.

SimonMac
3rd February 2012, 13:43
He's a ******* agent, he isn't cut out for anything, that's why he is an agent.

So you are saying those who can do, those who can't pimp?

Doggy Styles
3rd February 2012, 13:47
If he's Belgian he's probably related to Poirot.

DodgyAgent
3rd February 2012, 13:51
I do not normally deal with this as most contractors we place have arrangements in place.
So where on this site is a guide to opting in/out?

Arturo Bassick
3rd February 2012, 13:55
I do not normally deal with this as most contractors we place have arrangements in place.
So where on this site is a guide to opting in/out?Over there in the CUK Navigation box under "Agency Workers Regulations" or click this Agency Workers Regulations AWR / Directive for IT Contractors AWD 2011 (http://www.contractoruk.com/agency_workers_regulations/)

rd409
3rd February 2012, 13:57

Use the search on top right corner. alternatively use google. I realise it might be a bit difficult for you so here you go.

site:forums.contractoruk.com "Opt out"

copy the above line in google and hit enter.

If you still dont want to work it out, there is a sticky in Business/Contract section. I hope you know how to find a sticky.

Hope that helps.
Dave.

northernladuk
3rd February 2012, 14:18
Just a word of warning, there are words over 6 letters long in there so you might want to get on of the office ladies to read it to you before she runs along and gets you a coffee...

DodgyAgent
3rd February 2012, 14:26
Notice I am ignoring the "cheap shots" about my stupidity and professionalism.
however thanks to you all I have just sorted it out. He is going to opt in.
:happy

TheFaQQer
3rd February 2012, 15:02
If he's Belgian he's probably related to Poirot.

Maybe he should use the little grey cells.

TheFaQQer
3rd February 2012, 15:03
Over there in the CUK Navigation box under "Agency Workers Regulations" or click this Agency Workers Regulations AWR / Directive for IT Contractors AWD 2011 (http://www.contractoruk.com/agency_workers_regulations/)

Ummm - that's the guidance on AWR.

Not on the agency regulations. One cannot opt in or out of AWR.

TheFaQQer
3rd February 2012, 15:04

If you want him to opt out, point him to the (slightly biased) advice on the PCG website.

Pondlife
3rd February 2012, 15:06

You do now realise that;
a) you have to check he is who he says
b) you have to pay him regardless of getting paid by the client
c) you can't put restrictions to stop him from working directly after about 8 weeks of the contract ending

:p

Arturo Bassick
3rd February 2012, 15:32

Not on the agency regulations. One cannot opt in or out of AWR.Oooops, I just assumed it would be in there.

Churchill
3rd February 2012, 15:35
I dont care what he does as long as he does something.

***** him off, there're plenty more contractors who can do that role in Warrington!

rd409
3rd February 2012, 15:36

You dear Sir are probably the only Agent, who is happy that the candidate is staying opt in. But then you are our own Dodgy:smile

Doggy Styles
3rd February 2012, 15:38
***** him off, there're plenty more contractors who can do that role in Warrington!What, that can speak Belgian?

I knew a bloke from up north once who could speak a bit of Esperanto. Self taught he was. Is that like Belgian?

DodgyAgent
3rd February 2012, 15:59
What, that can speak Belgian?

I knew a bloke from up north once who could speak a bit of Esperanto. Self taught he was. Is that like Belgian?

And he speaks Russian, some mandarin, some Thai and some Japanese. Churchy struggles with sign language.

Doggy Styles
3rd February 2012, 16:28
And he speaks Russian, some mandarin, some Thai and some Japanese. Churchy struggles with sign language.He sounds clever. I used to speak a tiny bit of sign language. I once had a deaf PM who taught me a few useful words.

Well, not speak obviously, but I could make some shapes. 'German' was a finger sticking up over your head, like their WW1 helmets. I still remember the alphabet.

Can this Belgian speak sign language as well?

DodgyAgent
3rd February 2012, 16:31
He sounds clever. I used to speak a tiny bit of sign language. I once had a deaf PM who taught me a few useful words.

Well, not speak obviously, but I could make some shapes. 'German' was a finger sticking up over your head, like their WW1 helmets. I still remember the alphabet.

Apparently he can but only when ones back is turned :happy

SimonMac
3rd February 2012, 16:33
What, that can speak Belgian?

Well as there is no Belgian language (its French, German or Dutch) I would say probably as good as a native

psychocandy
3rd February 2012, 17:19
And Flemish?

Doggy Styles
3rd February 2012, 17:27
Where do they speak Walloon? I thought that was another name for the Belgian language.

Taita
3rd February 2012, 17:45
Over there in the CUK Navigation box under "Agency Workers Regulations" or click this Agency Workers Regulations AWR / Directive for IT Contractors AWD 2011 (http://www.contractoruk.com/agency_workers_regulations/) Where specifically does it give guidance on opting in/out AWR? There is no such choice. I think you mean the Conduct of EA/EB Regulations and the EA/EB is not allowed to coerce the worker one way or the other.

Churchill
3rd February 2012, 17:59
And he speaks Russian, some mandarin, some Thai and some Japanese. Churchy struggles with sign language.

He also lies well enough to be an agent. :facepalm:

mudskipper
3rd February 2012, 18:05
He sounds clever. I used to speak a tiny bit of sign language. I once had a deaf PM who taught me a few useful words.

I used to work with a guy who'd learned to sign. He explained that for a person, you'd pick on a characteristic and mime that (a bit like your German thing). We spent a happy afternoon coming up with signs for all our users :).

TheFaQQer
3rd February 2012, 19:50
Where specifically does it give guidance on opting in/out AWR? There is no such choice. I think you mean the Conduct of EA/EB Regulations and the EA/EB is not allowed to coerce the worker one way or the other.

Yeah. WIS:

Not on the agency regulations. One cannot opt in or out of AWR.

TheFaQQer
3rd February 2012, 19:51
I used to work with a guy who'd learned to sign. He explained that for a person, you'd pick on a characteristic and mime that (a bit like your German thing). We spent a happy afternoon coming up with signs for all our users :).

Knowing my users, there's only one sign that would have covered the vast, vast majority of them.

mudskipper
3rd February 2012, 20:01
Knowing my users, there's only one sign that would have covered the vast, vast majority of them.

That's the challenge - to find the differentiator.

Big dickhead
Tiny dickhead

Premmy :winker:
Big :winker:
Tiny :winker:

Left handed versions of above.

etc.