• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opting or Opting out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opting or Opting out

I have a belgian taking a 6 month contract and he has a bee in his bonnet about what is meant by opt in or opt out.
    Some of the aspects of these seem worrying such as if he opts in will he have to be CRB checked? opting out means that he may not get paid for work he does.
    I just want to understand some sort of perspective that is easy for him to understand whereby he will just opt out or opt in and just get on with it. the problem with it all as far as I can see is that it is all designed to protect low level temporary workers, but it just happens to have drawn in contractors who have to comply.
    It is driving me mad
    Is there somewhere I can get a simple understanding and perspective of it?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I have a belgian taking a 6 month contract and he has a bee in his bonnet about what is meant by opt in or opt out.
    Some of the aspects of these seem worrying such as if he opts in will he have to be CRB checked? opting out means that he may not get paid for work he does.
    I just want to understand some sort of perspective that is easy for him to understand whereby he will just opt out or opt in and just get on with it. the problem with it all as far as I can see is that it is all designed to protect low level temporary workers, but it just happens to have drawn in contractors who have to comply.
    It is driving me mad
    Is there somewhere I can get a simple understanding and perspective of it?
    You are an agent. Force him to opt out.
    HTH.
    Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
      You are an agent. Force him to opt out.
      HTH.
      Dave.
      I dont care what he does as long as he does something.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Have you asked him to read the guides on this very site or search the forums???
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If he has already been interviewed and offered then he is opted in unless you want to make a back dated opt out which is probably illegal.

If he is opted in then YOU have certain legal obligations. You are required that he is qualified and experienced, that he is who he says he is etc.

Have you read the regulations? I thought you were a rec con?
          Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Have you told him he's not cut out for this contracting lark?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Have you told him he's not cut out for this contracting lark?
              He's a ******* agent, he isn't cut out for anything, that's why he is an agent.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                He's a ******* agent, he isn't cut out for anything, that's why he is an agent.
                So you are saying those who can do, those who can't pimp?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If he's Belgian he's probably related to Poirot.

Comment

I do not normally deal with this as most contractors we place have arrangements in place.
                    So where on this site is a guide to opting in/out?

Comment

Working...
                    X