• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why oh why does the bloody heating always back up when there's a cold snap!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFS. Mrs MF started playing with the settings on the thermostat, then changed the batteries and lo and behold the heating has packed up. The radiators are on but very low and it's bloody freezing.

Any suggestions?

Do I need to bleed the radiators?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Have you tried turning it off and on?

Comment

Check your condensate pipe if you have a condensing boiler. I got up this morning to luke warm radiators and flashing lights on my boiler.

The manufacturers et al didn't consider that the waste water from the boiler might freeze when it's discharged outside. I've just spent half an hour pouring warm water over a plastic pipe to dislodge the ice.

The heating's back on now, until the pipe freezes again.
      Last edited by bless 'em all; 4 February 2012, 10:07. Reason: oops. typo.

Comment

I bet you've got one of those new balanced flue eco type boilers?

We've got an old style inefficient Baxi back boiler that's never gone wrong in 12 years.

Worried I said that now...
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
          Check your condensate pipe if you have a condensing boiler. I got up this morning to luke warm radiators and flashing lights on my boiler.

The manufacturers et al didn't consider that the waste water from the boiler might freeze when it's discharged outside. I've just spent half an hour pouring warm water over a plastic pipe to dislodge the ice.

The heating's back on now, until the pipe freezes again.
          Check that seems OK.

Time to bring out the ex-shop radiators and make the fire up. Luckily I've got 4 oil heaters in the garage.

Now got my hammer. I find hitting things tends to work

Comment

Is Mrs MF a scapegoatette or was the fault really related to her changing the battery on something? Maybe she was replacing the battery because something was already broken? If not, tell her to put the old batteries back in.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Is Mrs MF a scapegoatette or was the fault really related to her changing the battery on something? Maybe she was replacing the battery because something was already broken? If not, tell her to put the old batteries back in.
              Done all that. It's just not working

Women. Know your place. Fecking up the central heating is a mans job! Though it appears it is now my fault for not turning the lights off downstairs last night?????

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Done all that. It's just not working

Women. Know your place. Fecking up the central heating is a mans job! Though it appears it is now my fault for not turning the lights off downstairs last night?????
                Presumably the thermostat also has a timer? The modern ones can be rather sophisticated and let you program different temperatures for different times of day, perhaps something has gotten changed that shouldn't have.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Have you considered taking it out of reverse?
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    This usually happens during cold snap because you use it. It is very unlikely to happen during a heatwave... or if it does you won't notice. HTH

on a more helpful note... does the boiler have a reset button? I have an old Worcester Bosch which overheats occaisionally but has a little magic switch that needs to be pressed

Comment

Working...
                    X