• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MacBook Air FTW!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Air FTW!

Just got around to installing Parallels and booted a Windows XP SP3 VM.

Less than 10 seconds from initiating boot to "There are unused icons on your desktop"!

Install XP with SP 3 a couple of nights ago on a headless mac mini using parallels.

Screen shared through my iMac. Works a treat whilst hardly consuming iMac resources.

Speaking of XP, why is every client site I walked onto still using XP? Should they not be on Windows 13 by now?

(We all know how it went for Now that's what I can Music 1. Remember buying the first on cassette!)
    Last edited by scooterscot; 5 February 2012, 10:14.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Less than 10 seconds from initiating boot to "There are unused icons on your desktop"!
      So if it's so great why are you installing a Windows VM ?

Serious question as everyone I know with one does the same...
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I get that on my Windows machine with SSDs now, super quick! My home-office machine, still on old SATA drives can take 5 mins from restart to being fully loaded. Just looking at getting new MOBO and drives here as well now

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          So if it's so great why are you installing a Windows VM ?

Serious question as everyone I know with one does the same...
          The names of the VMs are a clue: "XP IE6", "XP IE7", "XP IE8"...

I also have some Linux VMs but they're also just for browser testing and playing with stuff.

Comment

Switching on my win7 laptop from sleep takes less than a second.

Win 2008 Server, Solaris, Linux VMs all resume in seconds. It's basically proportional to the size of the VM RAM and the transfer rate of your disk. I'm limited to about 250MB/s by SATA II at the moment. That's the trouble with 3-5 year old hardware.

I was rather impressed with my oracle DB on Win 2008 VM the other day, I was getting better throughput than the clients 8 way sun box connected to their SAN. I was surprised because I though they all had flash accelerators in these days. Gotta love SSDs.

I'll be interested to see how it goes when I get my new machine with 32GB, SATA 6Gbps and an up to date CPU.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Switching on my win7 laptop from sleep takes less than a second.
              Well if you do keep your finger on the button it's to be expected.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Is that brand new or a slightly older spec? They are gorgeous but I've no reason to spend so much for so little (literally )
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Is that brand new or a slightly older spec? They are gorgeous but I've no reason to spend so much for so little (literally )
                  Brand new, bought yesterday. Excellent machine - even Eclipse feels responsive on it

Comment

Brand new, bought yesterday. Excellent machine - even Eclipse feels responsive on it
                    What spec?
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X