• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why economic inequality leads to collapse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why economic inequality leads to collapse

Why economic inequality leads to collapse | Business | The Observer

Summarises what I have been thinking for a while. To kick start growth we need less inequality. And an end to ridiculous beaurocracy, red-tape and petty rules. And less government interference/taxation.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Summarises what I have been thinking for a while. To kick start growth we need less inequality. And an end to ridiculous beaurocracy, red-tape and petty rules. And less government interference/taxation.
    I believe the govt are currently drafting 200 new laws, pieces of legislation, guidelines and directives and 15 new quangos to oversee, report on and action the reduction of red tape and govt interference.

Comment

Not sure it's about equality, more about resentment of what is seen as unearned or unjustified wealth. Poorer working people are critical of benefit scroungers or bankers with huge bonuses that don't relate to merit but never see much directed at people like Branson who have actually earned their dosh.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Fire-E...8540719&sr=8-4

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Not sure it's about equality, more about resentment of what is seen as unearned or unjustified wealth. Poorer working people are critical of benefit scroungers or bankers with huge bonuses that don't relate to merit but never see much directed at people like Branson who have actually earned their dosh.
          Thats an interesting point. Why do we think that the Bearded One is fine with his own Island, but bankers and traders that would have pulled the investment capital together and worked 20 hour days to do the deals are just parasitic?

On the face of it Richard B wakes up one morning and says right lets build Virgin Galactic... How much do you think the team that actually builds that company will receive?

<discuss>

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Thats an interesting point. Why do we think that the Bearded One is fine with his own Island, but bankers and traders that would have pulled the investment capital together and worked 20 hour days to do the deals are just parasitic?

On the face of it Richard B wakes up one morning and says right lets build Virgin Galactic... How much do you think the team that actually builds that company will receive?

<discuss>
            Does it matter?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Branson actually creates jobs and makes something. There is an end product or service that is either better, cheaper or more attractive than is made by anyone else. There seems some nobility in that.

The bankers tend to just make money from something, they seem to have no compunction about destroying other businesses on the way and they don't replace them.

I think that is what infuriates people so much.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

The bankers tend to just make money from nothing, they seem to have no compunction about destroying other businesses on the way and they don't replace them.

I think that is what infuriates people so much.
                FTFY

(Which is the bit I don't get and nobody has come up with a good explanation of how they do this yet)
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X