• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving away from London ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving away from London ...

Looking into this - the idea being to buy a similar sized property in the home counties, and taking into account the difference between premium London and other properties, this should free up a few hundred K in cash for BTL(s) to generate a regular income.
    What sort of rental income could you generate nowadays for BTL(s) worth £400K? Anyone doing this?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Looking into this - the idea being to buy a similar sized property in the home counties, and taking into account the difference between premium London and other properties, this should free up a few hundred K in cash for BTL(s) to generate a regular income.
    What sort of rental income could you generate nowadays for BTL(s) worth £400K? Anyone doing this?
    A good rule of thumb is value / 1000 ~ weekly rent.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

woof
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Hmmm - I think it could vary widely if I bought say 2 not so nice flats at £200K each or one much better property for the whole £400k
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Leaving your successful permie management job?

More like it's the looming benefits cuts means the DSS won't pay your rent anymore.

Comment

OK I'll bite, just for fun though right.

It depends how you want to leverage, if at all.

For cash:
            You could buy 2 houses for £200k each around the home counties or to the west of the M25, bringing in rental of ~£900/month each.

Or you could buy 6 houses in Bradford, bringing in £450/month each.

Leveraged:-
            Around home counties I would guess at buying 8 houses with a 75% LTV BTL mortgage. Interest payments of ~£550 on rental income of £900 a month meaning £2800 profit per month before tax and other costs.

You could leverage up and buy 20 houses in Bradford, with an interest payment of around £170/month. So rental=£450, i.e. profit = £5600/month before tax & other costs.

But you're gonna have to love Bradford a heck of a lot to want this

Still, we all know you don't have £40 let alone £400k to invest, so this is all just a cow's opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Leaving your successful permie management job?

More like it's the looming benefits cuts means the DSS won't pay your rent anymore.

I'm preparing for retirement in 5 years, you wage slave loser.
              While you're working in your poorly paid public sector contract, I'll be taking up a new hobby like flying or sailing.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Hmmm - I think it could vary widely if I bought say 2 not so nice flats at £200K each or one much better property for the whole £400k
                Does "better property" necessarily equate to ROI?

Think about that one carefully. I'd far rather have a row of 2 up 2 down cottages that I can rent out to couples that want to set up home than a single des res rented to one family who might want to move out because they don't like the view.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  OK I'll bite, just for fun though right.

It depends how you want to leverage, if at all.

For cash:
                  You could buy 2 houses for £200k each around the home counties or to the west of the M25, bringing in rental of ~£900/month each.

Or you could buy 6 houses in Bradford, bringing in £450/month each.

Leveraged:-
                  Around home counties I would guess at buying 8 houses with a 75% LTV BTL mortgage. Interest payments of ~£550 on rental income of £900 a month meaning £2800 profit per month before tax and other costs.

You could leverage up and buy 20 houses in Bradford, with an interest payment of around £170/month. So rental=£450, i.e. profit = £5600/month before tax & other costs.

But you're gonna have to love Bradford a heck of a lot to want this

Still, we all know you don't have £40 let alone £400k to invest, so this is all just a cow's opinion.
                  Well believe what you want.
                  It would be cash.
                  And I'm inclining towards the fewer or even one property option simply because its easy to manage and I've done this before with professional tenants rather than DHS types.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    In my town that's probably a bit high, I would have estimated £1000pcm on a £400k house but maybe £1500 as the ceiling.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X