• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well I wouldn't want to disappoint

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I wouldn't want to disappoint

Week 4 of contact. Everything going absolutely brilliantly. Until yesterday. Until now I have been churning out good quality specifications and bringing things back on track. I am, their words, "A hero". The previous business analyst is serving notice as she got tulipcanned. Her idea of an F-Spec is shocking. Pages and pages of utter tulipe. 250 pages of utter tulipe to be fair, and this is only for one of 6 processes!

I am to inherit this tulipe. I reviewed the document and could not make head nor tail. I sat with her to try and understand her bizarre diagramming format. Armed with this knowledge I reviewed the document again. Utter tulipe. I told them if they wanted a thorough review it would take 3 days, then goodness knows how long to put it right. In fact it would just be quicker to write the bloody thing from scratch.

Funny how when it's good news your a hero. When it's bad news no one listens. Or at least they try and reassure me it's not that bad. She leaves at the end of next week and I am supposed to have all this under control. How they let the BA get away with this for this long it beyone me. The damage is done, and the noose is ready. Not fair really. And before anyone gets smart, I have it on good authority the project I left is in much better shape now my replacement finally managed to get the off shore team kicked into touch and is building to my spec unhindered.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Oh FFS! When will you realise you're a complete numpty who should be serving burgers in McD?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Oh FFS! When will you realise you're a complete numpty who should be serving burgers in McD?
      Yep, stuff that happened before I joined is all my fault. Nice one SAS. Makes complete sense. Tard.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        The damage is done, and the noose is ready. Not fair really.
        I am speechless. Life has always always been fair to me. Is it not for you?

I mean, of all the talk boards I could have ended up on, I landed at CUK where everyone is so mature and supportive.

Comment

She leaves at the end of next week
          At which point you say you need to do a document review to bring everything into line and then rewrite what she has done (assuming you've been through it with her to help make sense)
          2 weeks after she's gone and anything thats wrong with her work will start to surface naturally. You can then produce your new documents and have a good laugh with the PM behind her back.

Kicking someone on their way out isn't a smart way to work
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

So to summarise.

You've done ok on the noddy projects and they've got no one who has noticed the glaring security holes your prototypes have introduced. Hence they are giving you more work.

someone else has created some crap documentation for projects you are inheriting. That's par for the course, mate, so tough.

Oh and the person who replaced you earnt the respect of the developers doing the work and are paying attention to him rather than laughing.

Have I missed anything.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            At which point you say you need to do a document review to bring everything into line and then rewrite what she has done (assuming you've been through it with her to help make sense)
            2 weeks after she's gone and anything thats wrong with her work will start to surface naturally. You can then produce your new documents and have a good laugh with the PM behind her back.

+ WSCS
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              So to summarise.

You've done ok on the noddy projects and they've got no one who has noticed the glaring security holes your prototypes have introduced. Hence they are giving you more work.

someone else has created some crap documentation for projects you are inheriting. That's par for the course, mate, so tough.

Oh and the person who replaced you earnt the respect of the developers doing the work and are paying attention to him rather than laughing.

Have I missed anything.

+ WSCS
              No, that's not it at all. In fact I'd say you twisted everything there for your own perverse satisfaction.

Comment

No, that's not it at all. In fact I'd say you twisted everything there for your own perverse satisfaction.
                It's the CUK way :-)
                Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Who had 3-4 weeks in the sweepstake?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

Not sure how you can be honest about the quality of a very very poor document without someone accusing you of that really.

Perhaps I should just smile, tell everyone everythings fine and let them find out later. No point screaming iceberg anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X