• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rousseau International

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rousseau International

I'm looking for advice on an umbrella company called Rousseau International. I signed up rather than go limited but am now having deep reservations. I get 82% as a self employed person with a minimal salary and the balance supposedly as dividends from an Llp. However, these 'dividends' are paid over as loans and when I've asked for a breakdown of deductions to establish what tax exactly is being deducted, I have been stonewalled.

Anyone deal with these people?

Originally posted by Hermione View Post
    I'm looking for advice on an umbrella company called Rousseau International. I signed up rather than go limited but am now having deep reservations. I get 82% as a self employed person with a minimal salary and the balance supposedly as dividends from an Llp. However, these 'dividends' are paid over as loans and when I've asked for a breakdown of deductions to establish what tax exactly is being deducted, I have been stonewalled.

See http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-opinions.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hermione View Post

If you are being paid dividends, however they are being disguised then the company in question is breaking the law - the Managed Service Company legislation was introduced several years ago to stop this sort of thing happening. If the scheme is loan based there are loads of threads on this forum which will explain the various pitfalls.

At the end of the day, if you haven't paid what HMR&C consider to be the correct amount of tax it is you that will be liable and not your umbrella company so I would either move providers and work with a standard umbrella, paying tax through standard PAYE or make sure that you have enough money put aside over the next 6-7 years to pay any additional liability
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I have spoken to Rousseau. I think they use the term dividend incorrectly in order to talk to people who perhaps might have experience with limited companies. The payment is in fact a commercial loan and not a dividend. This comes under a so called "arms length agreement"! I believe these payments were specifically excluded in the last round of tax legislation.

I dont know if that helps though!

Comment

Originally posted by underpaidPhil View Post
          I have spoken to Rousseau. I think they use the term dividend incorrectly in order to talk to people who perhaps might have experience with limited companies. The payment is in fact a commercial loan and not a dividend. This comes under a so called "arms length agreement"! I believe these payments were specifically excluded in the last round of tax legislation.

Run for the hills! I would avoid like the plague.

I read today that the budget next week will have a anti avoidance clause so this will probably be another nail in the coffin of these loan schemes and their variants.
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by underpaidPhil View Post

Think I'd be a bit worried about a company that can't even get its own terminology right

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

After two budgets...

So since the last post on this thread they are still up and running... It all sounded too good to be true. I have just declined to join them, it just didnt seem right and also it's very difficult to find out information on the web. I am now getting a lot of phone calls from them trying to convince me that I should go with them... its turned into a hard sell!!

Comment

The important thing to check here is whether they make you sign a Social Contract.

On a serious note:

Swiss Company = Check
                >80% Return = Check
                Loans = Check

What could possibly go wrong?

Wouldn't want to be any of these three when HMRC get around to the 2013 returns.

https ://rousseauinternational.com/testimonials.aspx
                https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Mairead QA View Post
                  So since the last post on this thread they are still up and running... It all sounded too good to be true. I have just declined to join them, it just didnt seem right and also it's very difficult to find out information on the web. I am now getting a lot of phone calls from them trying to convince me that I should go with them... its turned into a hard sell!!
                  If it sounds too good to be true then it very probably is so good call

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                  X