• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old Recordable CD's!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Recordable CD's!

When I burnt to these 10 years back and made a few back ups, then I expected them to fooking work when I stuck them in my Windows 7 machine in 2012.

Three 'historical' pieces of work that I would like to use this evening! Not a single fooking one has loaded?

Now maybe I'm being a little thick. But surely a data CD I burnt 10 years ago could be recognised now?

Any ideas anyone?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

We live in the new dark ages as all information from this period will be lost.

As your poor quality CDRs confirm.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You didn't close them when you made them, making them usable only on the machine you burned them on ?
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        You didn't close them when you made them, making them usable only on the machine you burned them on ?
        I've got about 4 desktops and 4 laptops in the loft. I wonder what wonderful things I will find when I look.
        What a pain in the arse!

Comment

CD-R etc use an organic dye that degrades with exposure to UV light. If they are exposed to direct sunlight they will be unreadable in a matter of days or weeks. Early ones weren't very stable at all and even stored well I wouldn't expect them to last 10 years.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Any ideas anyone?
            Ask for product replacement or full money back.

"The design life is from 20 to 100 years, depending on the quality of the discs"

Compact Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH

Comment

Well hacked off about this. May have to pull out an old machine(I bet they work then)

Comment

Working...
              X