PDA

View Full Version : Ma old facility gone up in smoke!

scooterscot
8th February 2012, 00:49
irefighters tackle blaze at Strathclyde University (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-16938271)

Those engineering boffins pushing the boundaries just that one bit too far

Firefighters were called to the Weir Building at Strathclyde University
More than 50 firefighters have tackled a major blaze at Strathclyde University in Glasgow.

Crews were called to the James Weir Building in Montrose Street at about 19:16.

It houses part of the engineering faculty and Strathclyde Fire and Rescue said the presence of hazardous chemicals complicated their operations.

There were no reports of injuries. Neighbouring buildings were evacuated as a precaution.

Deputy Assistant Chief Officer Jim Doyle, from Strathclyde Fire and Rescue, said: "Firefighters fought through acrid smoke and intense heat in an extremely complex building with interlinking corridors to fight this fire.

"Operations are still under way, but crews have made good progress in controlling the blaze to this point. We anticipate being on the scene into tomorrow as we continue to deal with this incident."

A spokesman for the university said: "The campus will be open as normal tomorrow but the James Weir building will be closed to enable a thorough investigation to be carried out.

"Classes due to take place in the building have been cancelled."

wobbegong
8th February 2012, 08:32
Maybe they're just trying to get rid of any evidence of the fact?

Just sayin' like.

sasguru
8th February 2012, 09:15
irefighters tackle blaze at Strathclyde University (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-16938271)

Those engineering boffins pushing the boundaries just that one bit too far

It's what happens when you make a poly a university. The low quality intake can't really be trusted with technology.

Churchill
8th February 2012, 10:45
It's what happens when you make a poly a university. The low quality intake can't really be trusted with technology.

Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Strathclyde University was never a "Poly".

Hth.

sasguru
8th February 2012, 11:03
Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Strathclyde University was never a "Poly".

Hth.

Sorry it was the "Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College".
Which in no way contradicts my implication that it is not in the cream of UK academia :laugh

Churchill
8th February 2012, 11:23
Which in no way contradicts my implication that it is not in the cream of UK academia :laugh

It's a good job that your permy role doesn't rely on accuracy, isn't it?

russell
8th February 2012, 11:24

Reminds of a guy who worked at an old client, he was a permie and was desperate to get into development or testing (he was a support monkey), he had a Degree in Mechatronics. WTF!

sasguru
8th February 2012, 11:26
It's a good job that your permy role doesn't rely on accuracy, isn't it?

Quite. I have minion contractors, who earn less than me, for that.
My job is strategy, direction and leadership.

HTH

ThomasSoerensen
8th February 2012, 13:40
Quite. I have minion contractors, who earn less than me, for that.
My job is strategy, direction and leadership.

HTH

PFFFWWWRRHHPHPPPPP

you owe me a keyboard

I just vomited a little in my mouch and some spilled out and dripped.

sasguru
8th February 2012, 13:44
PFFFWWWRRHHPHPPPPP

you owe me a keyboard

I just vomited a little in my mouch and some spilled out and dripped.

That's what happens when you have a boring job dealing with the German social security for cretins software package (.Net).