• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ma old facility gone up in smoke!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

irefighters tackle blaze at Strathclyde University

Those engineering boffins pushing the boundaries just that one bit too far

Firefighters were called to the Weir Building at Strathclyde University
    More than 50 firefighters have tackled a major blaze at Strathclyde University in Glasgow.

Crews were called to the James Weir Building in Montrose Street at about 19:16.

It houses part of the engineering faculty and Strathclyde Fire and Rescue said the presence of hazardous chemicals complicated their operations.

There were no reports of injuries. Neighbouring buildings were evacuated as a precaution.

Deputy Assistant Chief Officer Jim Doyle, from Strathclyde Fire and Rescue, said: "Firefighters fought through acrid smoke and intense heat in an extremely complex building with interlinking corridors to fight this fire.

"Operations are still under way, but crews have made good progress in controlling the blaze to this point. We anticipate being on the scene into tomorrow as we continue to deal with this incident."

A spokesman for the university said: "The campus will be open as normal tomorrow but the James Weir building will be closed to enable a thorough investigation to be carried out.

"Classes due to take place in the building have been cancelled."
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Maybe they're just trying to get rid of any evidence of the fact?

Just sayin' like.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      irefighters tackle blaze at Strathclyde University

Those engineering boffins pushing the boundaries just that one bit too far
      It's what happens when you make a poly a university. The low quality intake can't really be trusted with technology.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        It's what happens when you make a poly a university. The low quality intake can't really be trusted with technology.
        Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Strathclyde University was never a "Poly".

Hth.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Strathclyde University was never a "Poly".

Hth.
          Sorry it was the "Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College".
          Which in no way contradicts my implication that it is not in the cream of UK academia
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Which in no way contradicts my implication that it is not in the cream of UK academia
            It's a good job that your permy role doesn't rely on accuracy, isn't it?

Comment

Reminds of a guy who worked at an old client, he was a permie and was desperate to get into development or testing (he was a support monkey), he had a Degree in Mechatronics. WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                It's a good job that your permy role doesn't rely on accuracy, isn't it?
                Quite. I have minion contractors, who earn less than me, for that.
                My job is strategy, direction and leadership.

HTH
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Quite. I have minion contractors, who earn less than me, for that.
                  My job is strategy, direction and leadership.

HTH
                  PFFFWWWRRHHPHPPPPP

you owe me a keyboard

I just vomited a little in my mouch and some spilled out and dripped.
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    PFFFWWWRRHHPHPPPPP

you owe me a keyboard

I just vomited a little in my mouch and some spilled out and dripped.
                    That's what happens when you have a boring job dealing with the German social security for cretins software package (.Net).
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X