• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop? Microsoft removes the 'Start' button from Windows 8

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop? Microsoft removes the 'Start' button from Windows 8

Oh FFS - even Daily Mail writes about it and there is nothing on supposedly IT related forum?

"The latest test version of Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8 software is missing one crucial button - the Start button and menu, an iconic part of Microsoft's operating system since it was introduced in Windows 95.

The button evolved to become the operating system's 'launchpad', offering access to software, files and search functions.

Earlier test versions of Windows 8 had flattened the recognisable 'orb' - but the new build removes it altogether, according to leaked screenshots from tech site The Verge.

Microsoft has not announced a release date for the new operating system, built to work with touchscreens as well as on conventional PCs, but it's widely expected to release in the second half of this year. "

Source: Windows 8: Microsoft removes 'Start' button | Mail Online

WTF are they smoking at Microsoft?

This is going to be repeat of:

MS DOS 4.0
    MS DOS 6.0
    Windows ME
    Vista
    Windows 8

Ah, so the Fail is reading El Reg now?

Of course there's no good reason to keep the Start menu, as Microsoft have explained in the blog post the vulture linked to. The Start menu originated because, when Windows 95 was in development, people found the GUI confusing:
    But one thing kept getting kicked up by usability tests: People booted up the computer and just sat there, unsure what to do next.

That's when we decided to label the System button "Start".

It says, "You dummy. Click here." And it sent our usability numbers through the roof, because all of a sudden, people knew what to click when they wanted to do something.

I could make some snide comment about Apple never having had this problem when introducing the GUI to the mass market a decade before, but I don't think it's necessary.

Comment

You're missing the entire point of win8. It was never designed to be aimed primarily at the desktop market, but more the tablet and interactive market to compete more in line with apple and others.

That is why the desktop is laid out in a panel tab format. Please use the correct OS for the correct job, instead of just jumping on the newest OS and thinking it suits all purposes.

Comment

I can see people sticking with Windows 7 en masse. It's interesting what they're doing with tablets and touch screens, but for all the people that want or need to really use a PC it's hard to see what advantage can possibly come from Windows 8.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          This is going to be repeat of:

MS DOS 4.0
          MS DOS 6.0
          Windows ME
          Vista
          Windows 8
          In the 1980s I heard it said that IBM alternated a good OS with a bad OS on their bigger machines. Maybe MS picked up on that method?
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I can see people sticking with Windows 7 en masse. It's interesting what they're doing with tablets and touch screens, but for all the people that want or need to really use a PC it's hard to see what advantage can possibly come from Windows 8.
            Exactly, I installed the Beta as a VM on my main machine and to say it was utter sh!t is an understatement. Agreed, it was a first beta but the general look and feel of it does not lend well to non tablet7touchscreen devices. I'll be sticking with Win7 for a while I think.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

What are we all going to do with our windows keys?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                What are we all going to do with our windows keys?
                I am going to replace mine with the Any key.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  Exactly, I installed the Beta as a VM on my main machine and to say it was utter sh!t is an understatement. Agreed, it was a first beta but the general look and feel of it does not lend well to non tablet7touchscreen devices. I'll be sticking with Win7 for a while I think.
                  but even in the early beta version there was a switch to turn off the "tablet" bits, returning the GUI to a more windows 7 type interface.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've recently come back to Windows after a couple of years using Linux desktops, Ubuntu and Fedora. I got fed up with those distros trying to hide everything away by not having a launch/start/applications button, even removing the taskbar (no taskbar? FFS!). Sure i could get it back with some amount of effort installing add-ons, but it was becoming a PITA.

So now i'm back on Windows 7. I recently installed Windows 8 in a VM. The pretty panels you see are the Start menu. IIRC, there's a panel/button (Desktop i think it's called?) and it shows the Desktop again (with Start button in corner).

I dunno WTF is going on in the desktop o/s world. I've considered trying a Mac for the first time in my life.
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                    X