• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learn Dutch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn Dutch?

Next time I happen to have a contract in NL, I might go to evening class and learn Dutch. It would be interesting anyway, but could it lead to being able to apply for "Dutch-speaking" contracts? Or do they really mean "Dutch person wanted"?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

I doubt an evening class will give you enough to talk 'techie' in a role. From experience, albeit many years ago, the Dutch evening course consisted of conjugating some basic verbs, a bit of day to day pleasantries/greetings and how to ask for stuff in shops and restaurants.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
      Next time I happen to have a contract in NL, I might go to evening class and learn Dutch. It would be interesting anyway, but could it lead to being able to apply for "Dutch-speaking" contracts? Or do they really mean "Dutch person wanted"?
      Read it how you like, but a lot of companies have switched from their business language from English to Dutch.
      The country is a tad more internal looking atm, and over the course of the last few years I have seen less English speaking roles advertised.
      Given the current lack of skilled workers, it will swing around again and there will be more of a demand for English speaking workers.
      I'm in the same boat as you, have started Dutch lessons so it will make me more marketable, but be warned, it aint an easy language to learn

Good luck!

I would recommend the Michel Thomas Method to get you started, but also taking up lessons is a good idea
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Yes, they want a Dutch person.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
          I doubt an evening class will give you enough to talk 'techie' in a role. From experience, albeit many years ago, the Dutch evening course consisted of conjugating some basic verbs, a bit of day to day pleasantries/greetings and how to ask for stuff in shops and restaurants.
          Well, it has worked for me in German: didn't do any at school, then went to evening classes at Goethe Institut in London, then went on to pick it up more in real life. German-speaking roles are common for me now.

It may not be worth it for NL, since you are effectively only looking at 1 country and even there it would only make a difference for roles that are Dutch-speaking but are not disguised Dutch-person roles. Still, my experience in Germany and Switzerland suggests that even if the role is supposed to be English-speaking, you're more likely to get it if you speak the language.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I's a waste of time. If you're not Dutch or Flemish you will never be given top roles reserved for Dutch, whatever your fluency of the language. Learn or improve your German instead.
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Still, my experience in Germany and Switzerland suggests that even if the role is supposed to be English-speaking, you're more likely to get it if you speak the language.
              This is true. Just being able to read documentation in German is an advantage.

One other thing a Swiss friend mentioned - he used to be happy speaking to me in English when we were out and about, but ever since he got surrounded by Bobs in the office he's been forced to speak English all the time at work, so now prefers to speak his own language during his leisure time.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

. Still, my experience in Germany and Switzerland suggests that even if the role is supposed to be English-speaking, you're more likely to get it if you speak the language.
                Holland is nothing like the Germanic world. In the latter you're appreciated if you speak their language, in Holland if you speak Dutch they'll reply in English.
                <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                  Holland is nothing like the Germanic world. In the latter you're appreciated if you speak their language, in Holland if you speak Dutch they'll reply in English.
                  True, it depends on where you are though.

In Amsterdam they'll always reply in English and persist, anywhere else I find if you persist in dutch they will speak Dutch back.

I've found that the Dutch do appreciate it if you have taken the effort to learn the lingo.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

How hard can it be

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X