• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Last orders for the lunchtime pint

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last orders for the lunchtime pint

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4758941.stm
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Great news item DaveB. I particularly liked the inclusion of the above pic with the wording 'Pubs can include exercise facilities'

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Fcuking right too. You are not at work to enjoy yourselves ffs, you are there to make the clients money.

Now get on with your work! You have plenty of time to relax in your 7 minute lunch hour.

Comment

"The traditional 60-minute break has shrunk to an average of 19 minutes, according to a survey in January, so that lunchtime is more likely to be the grim prospect of sandwich crumbs on a keyboard than a relaxed glass of wine.

The TUC says that employees in the UK have the longest working hours in Europe - and have warned of the high levels of ill-health and stress from this long-hours culture. Binge working as well as binge drinking can be bad for your health"
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

What's the lunchtime culture like in Italy, Franco?

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
            What's the lunchtime culture like in Italy, Franco?
            Well, still people enjoy taking a proper break I guess and I could hardly see anybody eating a sandwich in front of the monitor (can't say if in 5 years everything has changed). But it's not as you might expect that people eat for 2 hours and then have a nap for another 2 hours any longer (unfortunately, otherwise I would go back :-)).

In 2000 I had this fantastic canteen where for 1 pound you get a 3-course meal and the food was comparable to a good italian restaurant in London. Was hard to get back to work after, must admit.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Sounds good to me, Franco.

Healthy, happy, relaxed employees = good work from good workers
              Stressed, tired, adrenaline junky employees = sloppy work from burned out workers

Comment

I remember back in the 80's when I was a perm, one company I worked for had a bar in their canteen. Perfectly normal to get a plate of burger, beans and mash and a pint of Double Diamond.

Even in the height of contracting - you know, the sunny Fridays, couple of blonde, frisky media gals, bottle of Cloudy Bay with lobster and chips, quick call to the project manager saying that you have another client to "service", leave your sports cars at the client's car park and book yourself into the nearest 5 star..... ah, halcyon days...
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Back in my 1980s permie days, I was with an employer that had a bar in the canteen, and every employee could have a free pint with lunch. Mind you, it was a brewer so possibly not typical.

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
                    Back in my 1980s permie days, I was with an employer that had a bar in the canteen, and every employee could have a free pint with lunch. Mind you, it was a brewer so possibly not typical.
                    Was it Park Royal?

Comment

Working...
                    X