• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT city guys out of a job as Ayumu the chimp displays impressive memory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT city guys out of a job as Ayumu the chimp displays impressive memory

Wow! Ayumu the chimp must have a photographic memory or something, very impressive.

BBC Nature - Ape versus machine: Do primates enjoy computer games?

A chimp genius can complete a computer memory test in less time than it takes the average person to blink - and much faster than any human rival. But do the world's cleverest animals enjoy these cognitive tasks?

Ayumu, who was born and raised in Japan's Kyoto University, can remember the location and order of a set of numbers in record time. Sixty milliseconds to be precise.

Of course, it is not "natural" behaviour for a chimp to interact with a computer screen, but scientists suggest this type of task could be good for captive apes.

Ayumu's record stands at 60 milliseconds
    "Unfortunately, captive great apes often exhibit behavioural signs of boredom, frustration and stress," says Fay Clark from the Royal Veterinary College's Centre for Animal Welfare.

Working with the Zoological Society of London, Ms Clark has recently published a review of research investigating whether challenges that get captive apes thinking can enhance their well-being.

"If an ape does not receive enough cognitive challenge in life, this can lead to abnormal behaviours or a lack of interest in the environment," she tells BBC Nature.

"The key is for scientists to develop challenges which are relevant, motivating, and ultimately solvable if they are going to be used as enrichment."
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Bankers Shirley? Ideal operators for their low latency trading platform.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Bankers Shirley? Ideal operators for their low latency trading platform.
      Then we would be faced with the prospect of chimps collecting multi million pound bonuses and driving round in aston martins.

I say let them play donkey kong.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Finally, a real alternative to Agents
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

CPU - Chimp Processing Unit
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            That sounds like a rather dubious sausage factory.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              CPC = Chimp Processing Cluster.

After all, you'd want the system to be scalable.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Wow! Ayumu the chimp must have a photographic memory or something, very impressive.

BBC Nature - Ape versus machine: Do primates enjoy computer games?
                I know this Chimp. He works for Wipro.

Honestly? Not much of a team player.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

"Unfortunately, IT workers often exhibit behavioural signs of boredom, frustration and stress,"

"If an IT worker does not receive enough cognitive challenge in life, this can lead to abnormal behaviours or a lack of interest in the environment, such as posting bollox on CUK and winking furiously in an overpriced and gaudy looking shed."

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    "Unfortunately, IT workers often exhibit behavioural signs of boredom, frustration and stress,"

"If an IT worker does not receive enough cognitive challenge in life, this can lead to abnormal behaviours or a lack of interest in the environment, such as posting bollox on CUK and winking furiously in an overpriced and gaudy looking shed."
                    Sorry to hear about your problem
                    Glad you've finally got a shed, though.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X