PDA

View Full Version : I have been asked to vacate the premises

doomage
9th February 2012, 10:00
Company briefing @ 10:30. Some serious tulip going down, the proles are getting restless.

This looks good for my IR35 status at least. :smokin

bobspud
9th February 2012, 10:08
Company briefing @ 10:30. Some serious tulip going down, the proles are getting restless.

Good luck :(

Heard an uncomfortable rumor that a very large two letter company sent a load of contractors home for a few weeks the other day... Might only be that project but still not good news. Hope its a holiday rather than termination.

MarillionFan
9th February 2012, 10:08

Just you?

Sounds like the meeting is to discuss you.

doomage
9th February 2012, 10:13
Just you?

Thought had crossed my mind. Project is about a year behind schedule, I'm the only contractor == scapegoat.

bobspud
9th February 2012, 10:18
Thought had crossed my mind. Project is about a year behind schedule, I'm the only contractor == scapegoat.

Did you notice a rope tied to a stake in the ground outside as you walked in this morning? :D

NickFitz
9th February 2012, 10:28
If you're expecting those custard creams to still be in your desk drawer when you get back, you're going to be disappointed.

cojak
9th February 2012, 10:37
I walked away from my contract on Monday. The project had died on it's arse and they wanted me to work on BAU.

Contractors can do that you know :D

Arturo Bassick
9th February 2012, 10:42
I thought this was going to be about the perils of eating beans 3 times a day.

ChimpMaster
9th February 2012, 10:43
I walked away from my contract on Monday. The project had died on it's arse and they wanted me to work on BAU.

Only cuz ur rich, Cojak, only cuz ur rich...

MarillionFan
9th February 2012, 10:45
Only cuz ur rich, Cojak, only cuz ur rich...

I hope she doesn't take it out on anyone. (Heads down lads)

northernladuk
9th February 2012, 10:45
Good luck :(

Heard an uncomfortable rumor that a very large two letter company sent a load of contractors home for a few weeks the other day... Might only be that project but still not good news. Hope its a holiday rather than termination.

:facepalm:

scooterscot
9th February 2012, 10:54

Been there before. The last hiding place for an incompetent permie manager, blame the experts!

norrahe
9th February 2012, 10:55

:wave: :D

scooterscot
9th February 2012, 11:00

Did the same on a contract last year.

Prepared a report for the owner of the project, turns out he had no idea about the way things were. You'll be amazed how much permie managers blag their way to top. Eventually the slip.

SimonMac
9th February 2012, 11:11

Quitter! Are you sure you are cut out for contracting?

doomage
9th February 2012, 11:16
Head office is moving to Hong Kong. Affects the permies more than me I guess.

I, for one, welcome our new chinese overlords.

Hopefully there are contract opportunities with the transition. :smokin

Arturo Bassick
9th February 2012, 11:20
Head office is moving to Hong Kong. Affects the permies more than me I guess.

I, for one, welcome our new chinese overlords.

Hopefully there are contract opportunities with the transition. :smokinI wouldn't mind a 12 monther in Hong Kong. Whats the gig? (and rate)

sasguru
9th February 2012, 11:24
Did the same on a contract last year.
Prepared a report for the owner of the project, turns out he had no idea about the way things were. You'll be amazed how much permie managers blag their way to top. Eventually the slip.

You seem to have a few contracts a year. Why no extensions? Is it because your incompetence is exposed early?
When I was a contractor I got regular extensions and rate rises because no one wanted to let me go.

HTH.

SimonMac
9th February 2012, 11:26
You seem to have a few contracts a year. Why no extensions? Is it because your incompetence is exposed early?
When I was a contractor I got regularly created extra work and failed to pass knowledge on so no one could let me go.

HTH.

FTFY

bobspud
9th February 2012, 11:31
:facepalm:

Don't worry it wont be paid for by the client.

Certainly HP have a reputation for exercising their LACK of MOO by telling contractors to go away for a few weeks at a time, and in my opinion makes perfect sense. :)

fullyautomatix
9th February 2012, 11:36
Why would they want everybody to vacate the premises for an announcement of head office relocation ?:confused:

doomage
9th February 2012, 11:57
Why would they want everybody to vacate the premises for an announcement of head office relocation ?:confused:

They just wanted me out as they were making the announcement to all the different departments at the same time and needed our project room. It impacts the permies because there will likely be redundancies for those unable/unwilling/not needed for the relocation, although this was not discussed.

As a contractor, easy come easy go I guess. Current contract lasts until August, as always will plan for an early exit.

Sysman
9th February 2012, 12:57

Hopelessly Pathetic?

d000hg
9th February 2012, 14:42
Just you?

Thought had crossed my mind. Project is about a year behind schedule, I'm the only contractor == scapegoat.Are you taking lessons from SY01?

bobspud
9th February 2012, 14:58
Hopelessly Pathetic?

Might be... ;)