• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting rid of Estate agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rid of Estate agents

Currently renting out property via an estate agent who are also managing it on our behalf.

Am not impressed so far, they took 4 months to rent the property out, and trying to get a reply to an e-mail is like pulling teeth, never mind getting confirmation that they have let the utility companies et al know the property is rented.

Am wondering if there is any way to get rid of them with a tenant in place.

TIA
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Presumably there is some sort of contract between yourself and the agent? What does it say?

Somehow I doubt it will be good news for you...

Comment

1. Give the tenant their notice.
      2. Contact the local council's housing department and offer them the property on one of their extended lease schemes. They'll take it from you for anywhere between 2 to 5 years, pay a competitive rent and not charge you anything for 'management'. They also return it back to you in reasonable nick (barring wear & tear of course).
      3. Tell the agent to shove it.

Comment

Renting - I want to rent a place for 2 months then rolling monthly while house is found and sorted. NO estate agent will pass me onto their renters as they know their charges suck up all the first months money so its 6 months or nowt. I expect someone would appreciate low maintenance tenants even short term.

For selling, local offices are felling the squeeze, I am buying a house and you go on rightmove amd call the number next to it, you care not who they are as long as they answer the phone and organise a viewing. People will do that for a few hundred quid, not sure I can justify the extra 2k for 'personal service'. Some will still use them of course but not me.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Am wondering if there is any way to get rid of them with a tenant in place.
          It's your house.

What's the name of the agency you're using?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Presumably there is some sort of contract between yourself and the agent? What does it say?

Somehow I doubt it will be good news for you...
            Will have to re-read, for some reason I do not recall a clause being in place for termination whilst tenants are in place.

Which would be interesting if there isn't.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
            X