• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trafalgar mock-up 'pretty stupid'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trafalgar mock-up 'pretty stupid'

From the BBC today.
    Trafalgar Mock Up

Lord Nelson's closest living relative has fired a shot across the bows of the Trafalgar 200 celebrations, labelling some of them as "pretty stupid".

Anna Tribe, 75 and the great, great, great granddaughter of the admiral, criticised a mock-up of the 1805 sea battle as "politically correct".

Tuesday's re-enactment in the Solent will pit reds against blues, not British against French and Spanish.

The organisers said they were not attempting to re-create Trafalgar.

Second Sea Lord, Vice Admiral Sir James Burnell-Nugent, said the event was "a celebration of a battle at sea at the time of Nelson - not an exact mock-up of the British and French at Trafalgar".

'We won'

A fleet of 17 ships from five nations will take part in the re-enactment, off Southsea, Hampshire, after the international fleet review.

But Mrs Tribe, from Monmouthshire, said: "The idea of the blue team fighting the red team is pretty stupid.

"I am sure the French and Spanish are adult enough to appreciate we did win that battle."

She said such "political correctness" would "make fools of us".

Mrs Tribe was one of around 200 descendants of officers and sailors who fought in the battle on 21 October, 1805, who gathered in Portsmouth as part of the anniversary celebrations.

The unique gathering was held at Portsmouth Naval Base, where Nelson's flagship the HMS Victory is preserved for posterity.

The descendants travelled from as far afield as Australia, Canada and the Middle East as well as from all over the UK.

Considering the general dopeyness of most of the chav kiddies, I fully expect them to grow up thinking that Trafalgar was about the Reds and the Blues having a bit of a ding dong.

What next ?

WW2....The Pinks and the Siennas versus the Greys and the Oranges ?

Bah !

Who the war anyway?????!!!

Oh yeah - the Germans!:rolleyes

Comment

The Pinks and the Siennas versus the Greys and the Oranges
      Can't have that; the gay, OAP and protestant/Catholic communities would be up in arms.

Comment

Daft as you like. Is the truth really so bad? History written by as a Janet & John book by the winners.

Still, I'd love to be able to see it. Anybody taking a yacht along?

Comment

I work only five miles away, and brought my Canon rebel camera into work this morning, and don't have much to do. But I can't be arsed to go. Sounds like the traffic and parking will be terrible.

Can someone suggest a good reason for going, to stir me from my torpor :rolleyes

Comment

Re

I once worked at a philatelic auctioneers who were done for selling a Lord Nelson signature that wasn't the Lord Nelson (It was his nephew I think). It was a genuine mistake due to autographs being a sideline, but as it was wrongly described as 'the' Lord Nelson they were prosecuted.

The chap who bought it (one of the UKs leading Nelson experts) worked out it had been signed right handed at a date after he had lost it!

Anyway, it made all the newspapers (must have been a light news day). Most tenuous link was The Sun or The Mirror, they had interviewed some landlords from pubs called the Lord Nelson (arms folded in disgrace type affair) 'How dare they abuse the memory of our hero Lord Nelson' etc.

Comment

Working...
            X