• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Refused treatment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refused treatment

Pensioner refused treatment after sending 'distressing' mail to NHS

This is a really strange story. A pro-life 70 odd year old pensioner was sent to jail for sending 'distressing' images to a hospital. Some were pictures of foetus's - the result of operations performed by the hospital themselves. He now requires a hip operation and the hospital have refused him treatment.
    Comments from the panel?

Originally posted by John Galt
    Pensioner refused treatment after sending 'distressing' mail to NHS

This is a really strange story. A pro-life 70 odd year old pensioner was sent to jail for sending 'distressing' images to a hospital. Some were pictures of foetus's - the result of operations performed by the hospital themselves. He now requires a hip operation and the hospital have refused him treatment.
    Comments from the panel?
    Lets take a hypothetical situation:-

a suicide bomber attempts to blow up a hospital and fails but manages to give himself some rather nasty burns in the process.

If the hospital so much as thought about refusing treatment to the bomber the whole force of the "PC Right On" brigade would be on the hospital management within hours....probably lead by Bliar talking about fairness and the bombers human right.

I really need to try and get out of this country.....I just wish Mrs Nomad felt the same way.

Comment

I thought they would treat people equally, purely based on their medical conditions regardless of moral stance e.g. If Hitler (secular humanist) and Mother Teresa were in the ER room then they would be treated according to their immediate medical priorities.

There would not be a commitee to decide who should be treated or not.

But what would you do if a smoker had a lung operation on the NHS and then continued to smoke afterwards and had to have another operation? Would you apply the above and say no problem, come on in?
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
        I thought they would treat people equally, purely based on their medical conditions regardless of moral stance e.g. If Hitler (secular humanist) and Mother Teresa were in the ER room then they would be treated according to their immediate medical priorities.

There would not be a commitee to decide who should be treated or not.

But what would you do if a smoker had a lung operation on the NHS and then continued to smoke afterwards and had to have another operation? Would you apply the above and say no problem, come on in?
        Or a alcoholic continued to drink after a liver transplant.... oh wait we've already done that one

(Fleetwood -should that be 'an' alcoholic?)

Comment

This is all about freedom of expression, something we thought this country upholds strongly. The hospital's action is a constraint on this bloke's expression of his views - even though I do not agree with his views or the way he pushes them. As the bloke says, if he were a murderer with no particular view on life, and he needed a hip op, he'd get one!

We're on a slippery slope when our public institutions above all else start to exercise their bias against individuals when they are forced out of their comfort zone.
          "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
            (Fleetwood -should that be 'an' alcoholic?)
            <Fleetwood Virtual Avatar Positronic Matrix ™ Mode>

An alcoholic

</Fleetwood Virtual Avatar Positronic Matrix ™ Mode>
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

He wants to try demanding the right to die then they will fall over themselves forcing treatment on him insisting that the hypocritical oath says they must do no harm.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
                I really need to try and get out of this country.....I just wish Mrs Nomad felt the same way.
                To where? Do you think institutions overseas behave any differently?
                "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

I have a cunning plan

I have a cunning plan..

I am going to write to the Chief Exec. of my local council and tell him what a load of useless, overspending nonces they all are in his company

I will even include graphs to show the amount of cash they waste every year.

That will REALLY upset him

....and this is the cunning bit....

When I send my next monthly Council Tax cheque for £150 he will be so upset with my views he will simply refuse to accept my money !!

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing
                    To where? Do you think institutions overseas behave any differently?
                    I quite fancy New Zealand ......I have never been there but everyone I speak with who has loves the place (even though huge numbers of their younger generation seem to want to be in London)

I am sure they have some potty local authority jobsworths but I cannot see it being as bad as things have become in the UK

Comment

Working...
                    X