• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Totty beer sales rise after House of Commons ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Totty beer sales rise after House of Commons ban

Family-run Staffordshire brewer Slater's revealed it has seen sales jump since one of its ales upset a MP Kate Green and attracted headlines around the world last week.

Slater's sales director Fay Slater announced that the firm has been bombarded with phone calls and emails from landlords wanting to get their hands on barrels of Top Totty.

The welcome boost for the popular ale comes after the four per cent beer was removed from sale at the Strangers' Bar, in the Houses of Parliament, after shadow equalities minister Ms Green said the pump clip, which features a half-naked lady, was offensive.

Now Slater's says it has sold around 50 more barrels than it shifts in an average week, with around half a dozen pubs saying they want to start selling the controversial ale too.

"We have had emails coming in from up and down the country - London, Scotland, Lancashire - you name it, wanting our beer," she said.

The parliamentary bar managers have since chosen their replacement for the Top Totty beer, Kangaroo Court, which is brewed at Salopian Brewery on Mytton Oak Road in Shrewsbury.

It is a mild four per cent blonde beer. Meanwhile a Stafford pub has put up a sign to let local drinkers know it is proud to sell beer that has upset a Government minister.

Jane Andrews, and Philip McIntosh who both run The Hop Pole pub in Sandon Road, say weekly sales have tripled in the last few days.

Mr McIntosh said: "The day I put the sign up we had between 20 and 25 people come in saying they just had to try some."

Ms Slater also revealed she has been in talks with Stringfellows nightclub about stocking barrels of the beer, which has made headlines as far away as India and China.

The 33-year-old said she would be happy if the Strangers' Bar started selling the beer with an alternative pump clip but ruled out changing it nationwide.

Vicki Slater, owner of the George Inn in Castle Street, Eccleshall, where the brewery business started before it moved to St Albans Road in Stafford, said the beer was originally intended as a summer beer, but it proved so popular they decided to keep it on all year round

There is no such thing as bad publicity.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well after some sour-pussed, miserable, self-entitled, snorting, troughing, drenched in entitlement ugly femiNazi Liebour MP decided to create a furore about "won't someone think of my publicity, expenses and my right under financial security dictate to the proles" under the flag of that anachronistic banner of "wimmins rites and sexism, m'ok" and got the said subsidised brew removed, this brewery jumped at the opportunity and rolled up with a full house and trumped her whinging pathetic sanctimony with this:

The fecking self-righteous political elite karntz. May this sham of a "democratic" political system be razed to the ground for the benefit of our freedom in this short life.

More here from the good Guido.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Good.

In fact I'm going to order a barrel myself.

I'd never heard of the brew before this wimmins rights fanatic who has a face like a bulldog licking piss off a stinging nettle got it banned.

Comment

Working...
        X