• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The best SF ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best SF ever

Stranger in a Strange Land
    Ringworld
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    The Time Machine
    Childhood's End
    The Reality Dysfunction
    From a Dark Background
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    Eon

Gosh, that would almost be my list too...

I'd add:

Neuromancer
    Brave New World
    I, Robot
    anything by Anne McCaffery
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by expat
      Stranger in a Strange Land
      Ringworld
      Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
      The Time Machine
      Childhood's End
      The Reality Dysfunction
      From a Dark Background
      The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
      Eon
      Anything by Dr Robert Forward (formerly a rocket scientist at JPL or somewhere, now dead alas)

A Wikipedia potted biography etc can be found here

Gotta say his characterisations were apt to be a bit wooden at times, and rose-tinted, but the science and his soaring imagination was outstanding. I'd especially recommend Dragon's Egg, an account of an expedition to a neutron star.
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 12 May 2006, 18:01.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Dune series - Frank Herbert
        Larry Niven's book that form known space collect, Ringworld books, Protector, World of Ptavs ... through to Gil The ARM,
        Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man, this where Babylon 5 creator got some ideas for the psi cops, good book probably older than the green lizard.

Comment

Anything by the Strugatsky brothers.
          Victor Pelevin has knocked out some cracking SF...
          Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Space Patrol

“Gamma rays on.”
            “Check”
            “Yobba rays on.”
            “Check”
            “Ready for lift-off captain.”

Comment

Stephen Baxter - Time, Space, Flux etc... Hard Sci-Fi at it's best.

Ian M. Banks - Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, Use of Weapons etc. For those who like to think about the story rather than the technology.

Anything by Michael Moorcock. Not all strictly Sci-Fi but he mixes things up so much it hardly matters.

Mick Farren - The Song of Phaid the Gambler, the DNA Cowboys Trilogy. Some of the weirder, but still very readable stuff I've come accross. Hard to find nowadays but you might get lucky in a 2nd hand book shop.

Oh, and Stanislav Lem. Go look him up if you dont recognise the name. He wrote Solaris ( the book not the OS ) that was turned into a George Clooney vehicle. Among an awfull lot of other very good things.
              Last edited by DaveB; 13 May 2006, 22:02.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Colin Kapp's series of stories about the Unconventional(?) Engineers, particularly the one about the Subways of Tazoo. (This describes a planet where all intelligent life has died. Mostly because they passed the equivalent of the Windmill Event Horizon in an effort to extract as much power from the wind as possible. Sound anything like here?).
                Unorthodox Engineering. Little classics, esp. Subways of Tazoo.

Comment

Greg Egan - written some fantastic short storys and a couple of brilliant SF novels. He does love puching the boundarys

Frank Herbert - The Dune books (all of them without exception)

Kim Stanley Robinson - The Mars Trilogy

If you like SF then look up Interzone magazine. They've chanegd publishers and editors since I used to read it but from what I know the quality of writing is still top notch
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

I have very nearly given up reading Science Fiction because, in my opinion, there has rarely been any hard core science based stuff since Donaldson got in on the act.

Gibson was one breath of fresh air. He probably heads my list along with Asimov.

Enjoyed the works of Robert Sawyer a few years ago.

Thought Richard Morgan had the right ideas but his books are too long.

Most modern science fiction books are far too long and would be greatly improved if they were edited down to the length of the classics.

Comment

Working...
                    X