• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax refund and P11d

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax refund and P11d

I overpaid a fair bit of income tax last year, thanks to getting stuck on emergency tax.

I was kind of hoping that I'd get it back pretty soon after doing my self assesment, i.e. in April. I've heard stories of people submitting their self assesments online and getting the money withing a few hours, so that seemed reasonable, and I told my accountant this and asked them to please do it ASAP as I could do with the cash.

However, a month later and I've now been told that they don't do the self assesment until after the P11d deadline in July as that information needs to go into the self assesment. I've given my accountant all the information for my P11d too.

So the question is, is this the way this has to happen as set down by the IR, or as I suspect, is my accountant just blindly following their own set of procedures and not listening to what I'm asking them to do?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan
    I overpaid a fair bit of income tax last year, thanks to getting stuck on emergency tax.

I was kind of hoping that I'd get it back pretty soon after doing my self assesment, i.e. in April. I've heard stories of people submitting their self assesments online and getting the money withing a few hours, so that seemed reasonable, and I told my accountant this and asked them to please do it ASAP as I could do with the cash.

However, a month later and I've now been told that they don't do the self assesment until after the P11d deadline in July as that information needs to go into the self assesment. I've given my accountant all the information for my P11d too.

So the question is, is this the way this has to happen as set down by the IR, or as I suspect, is my accountant just blindly following their own set of procedures and not listening to what I'm asking them to do?

IME refunds come through in 30-60 days after submission of the tax return (based on a sample of me getting one twice).

However they do cross check P11d against the return so they are unlikely to do anything until the P11d has been filed and processed. Of course you don't have to wait until the july dealine before filing your P11d.

An alternative strategy is to ring your IR office. They are actually very good at dealing with this sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan

You can request a repayment through self-assessment on-line. The money arrives in your bank account 5-7 days later. I did it two weeks ago. Easy-peasy.

Comment

Working...
      X