• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland may have answers to English maths problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland may have answers to English maths problem

This is news?

Reminds me of working with a permie from (in) Cambridge of all places whilst on a 6 month gig, he did not know a prepare a monte carlo simulation despite being the head of the project of <not important>. I really should have charged more now that I think about it.

England should look north of the border for answers to the problem of poor maths skills, says a report.

A study by the Royal Society of Arts says England, where one in four adults cannot do basic calculations, is out-performed by the likes of Scotland and Hong Kong.

England's maths education is not fit for purpose and risks damaging the economy, it adds.

The government said England must keep up with leading education systems.

The RSA report cautions against adopting any country's teaching system wholesale but says that England should draw on the experiences of Scotland and Hong Kong to improve the effectiveness of its mathematics teaching.

Impact on science
    "With nearly half of our students failing to achieve GCSE mathematics grade C or above, long term reform should be an urgent priority for ministers," said report author Emma Norris.

"The current system puts many students off maths for life. We need to find a new way to re-engage students," she added.

The RSA report also says some students' numeracy skills are so limited that universities are having to minimise the maths content of some science courses including medicine and psychology.

Last August a report on mathematics in England for the Conservative Party recommended that all students should study maths until the age of 18.

The report, by television presenter Carol Vorderman said the current system was failing young people.

Currently only 15% of students in England continue maths after GCSEs.

Scotland does better, with a quarter of post-16 students studying maths, but in Hong Kong everyone studies maths until they leave school, either to go to university or to join the workforce.

Scottish solution?
    The report praises the way maths is taught in Scotland, where students "are able to progress at their own speed" and can move between teaching streams more easily than in England.

The Vorderman report also recommended that instead of one single maths GCSE, pupils should study for two separate qualifications in lifestyle and academic mathematics.

The English government is piloting the idea but in Scotland a similar system is already running.

A spokesman for the Department for Education said: "Ministers have made clear their ambition that the vast majority of young people continue to study maths up to 18 within a decade.

"We are carrying out a root and branch review of the national curriculum to give schools greater freedom over maths teaching.

"And we are overhauling GCSEs and A-levels to make sure they are robust and in line with the toughest education systems in the world."

The RSA report also says England's GCSE exam system can lead to "teaching to the test" which limits the maths skills that pupils learn.

The authors suggest finding new ways of testing pupils maths skills, possibly replacing parts of the exam with lower-key classroom based tests for less able students.

In addition they caution against Vorderman's suggestion of offering new post-16 mathematics qualifications which they say could be confusing for pupils and employers.
    BBC News - Scotland may have answers to English maths problem
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Barnett formula at work.

Or maybe the chips on their shoulders are actually CPUs.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I was listening to Vorderman explain her idea and found myself agreeing with her. The number of people who need advance math skills like algebra and trig are tiny compared to the number of people who leave school without the ability to work out financial type maths, working out percentages, compound interest, if two different sized items which is better value etc etc
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I was listening to Vorderman explain her idea and found myself agreeing with her. The number of people who need advance math skills like algebra and trig are tiny compared to the number of people who leave school without the ability to work out financial type maths, working out percentages, compound interest, if two different sized items which is better value etc etc
        Quality. And I agree, students need financial type math, working out percentages, compound interest because we a consumer economy and you need to know if you're getting a good deal at the till.

No wonder UK engineering is down the tubes.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I think at least part of the problem is cultural, there is a dismissive attitude to mathematics that sees the like of Stephen Fry and other supposedly intelligent public figures cheerfully boasting that they can't do fractions as if it's a badge of honour when it ought to qualify them for remedial lessons.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I think at least part of the problem is cultural, there is a dismissive attitude to mathematics that sees the like of Stephen Fry and other supposedly intelligent public figures cheerfully boasting that they can't do fractions as if it's a badge of honour when it ought to qualify them for remedial lessons.
            A good start would be educating the public that "Free for £42 per month, minimum 24 months" does not mean free. I'm guessing Sir Stephen of Fry with his love of all things Apple probably fell for that one.

I recently rewatched that Tropic of Cancer series, and after trudging through some of the poorest and most oppressed parts of the globe, he ended up visiting a school in prosperous Taiwan, where their kids are rated best in the world at Maths, and second best at Physics.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
            X