• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm £68,500 richer than yow...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm £68,500 richer than yow...

....Atw

House price rises added £68,500 to average homeowner's wealth over the last decade – Telegraph Blogs

Boomed!

I'm off to buy that 911 Turbo with my FREE money.

First time buyers £68,500 poorer

Not to mention what house buyers who want a bigger house than their current little tulip hole have lost.

Comment

I wonder how much Wellington would get for that disused railway station these days?

Or the sewer pipe he upsized from.

Comment

Lets just wait and see till we get a real rate of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

... Not to mention what house buyers who want a bigger house than their current little tulip hole have lost.
          Too true - Prices don't all just shuffle up the same, there's a tidal or "stretching out" effect.

So it isn't just first time buyers priced out - Everyone is more stuck where they are.

(Apologies for stating the bleedin' obvious)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This post says it for me:-

Let's see now

Gold is the best yardstick of value ever, always has been. An ounce of gold 2000 years ago had about the same spending power as an ounce of gold today

In between 1999 and 2002, the period now nicknamed "Brown's Bottom", Gordon Brown sold off half of the UK's gold reserves at rock bottom prices, less than $300oz.

Today, gold is still around $1700 oz

If house values were denominated in gold, their real value has fallen dramatically.

House prices have increased 3 x denominated in Sterling but an ounce of gold bought in 2000 would buy over 5 x sterling today, a substantial nett loss.

It's all a big lie I'm afraid.

Owning a pile of cement is not an investment. At best, it's value denominated in a paper currency will offer some protection against the inflation of paper money.

Comment

Yes indeed, gold and property, wine and paintings, baked beans and Avtomat Kalashnikova 47s are the new currency.

And don't forget your Champion 4000-watt RV Outlet Portable Generator.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                Yes indeed, gold and property, wine and paintings, baked beans and Avtomat Kalashnikova 47s are the new currency.

And don't forget your Champion 4000-watt RV Outlet Portable Generator.
                And don't forget magic beans! In fact I'll swap this handful for your cow.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Done!

Beans, beanstalks, gold, large castle property...and a grumpy giant. All my currency options covered there - woohooo!
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Done!

Beans, beanstalks, gold, large castle property...and a grumpy giant. All my currency options covered there - woohooo!
                    Er. Sorry. These were Darren Upton magic beans. You now owe HMRC thirteen grand.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X