• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State Religion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Religion

I must say that I am pleased that the courts have upheld a councillors right to attend council meetings without having to be present for prayers.

High Court council prayers ruling 'an attack on centuries-old Christian traditions' - Telegraph

It is time that we withdrew all state support from religion and removed religion from all state activities, this should include:
    1. Removal of the bishops from the House of Lords
    2. Ceasing state religious schools
    3. Prayers at the start of council and parliament sessions
    4. Removal of charity status from religious organisations

I am sure that there are more.......
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

It's an absolute disgrace. How dare the courts enforce a secular mindset on anyone.

I like the way he tried to get it changed through democratic means, but lost the vote, so, alledgely in the interests of democracy, went to court.

btw- point 4. Close. Only remove the charity status from their non-charitable activities. Could be tricky though.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
      I must say that I am pleased that the courts have upheld a councillors right to attend council meetings without having to be present for prayers.

High Court council prayers ruling 'an attack on centuries-old Christian traditions' - Telegraph

It is time that we withdrew all state support from religion and removed religion from all state activities, this should include:
      1. Removal of the bishops from the House of Lords
      2. Ceasing state religious schools
      3. Prayers at the start of council and parliament sessions
      4. Removal of charity status from religious organisations

I am sure that there are more.......
      Just having a run in with the local church. They who run it are nasty and devious and certainly don’t act in they war of Jesus. What a load of ruthless money makers; thank God I am an atheist
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Just having a run in with a local church. They who run it are nasty and devious and certainly don’t act in they war of Jesus. What a load of ruthless money makers; thank God I am an atheist
        FTFY

Why don't you respond to them as if you were one of Jesus' sunbeams. You never know - you might end up one of those modernist* vicars.

* Unbelievers
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

When the head of state is also the head of the states official religion this verdict kinda gives mixed messages.

I'm non religious buy to me this is a non story and waste of money bringing it to court, if you don't want to pray at the start of the meeting don't, can I suggest an alternative of mentally undressing the female councillors
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The ruling was clear enough:

A local authority has no power under section 111 of the Local Government Act 1972, or otherwise, to hold prayers as part of a formal local authority meeting, or to summon councillors to such a meeting at which prayers are on the agenda.
            The saying of prayers in a local authority chamber before a formal meeting of such a body is lawful provided councillors are not formally summoned to attend
            Why are so many of the religious incapable of grasping the distinction between having the freedom to practice their faith and forcing it upon others?

As to the rest of your post, I agree. The religious should have the same rights to express their views as the rest of us via the ballot box but the fact that Bishops still have any direct say in law making is unacceptable.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 11 February 2012, 10:23.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              The ruling was clear enough:

Why are so many of the religious incapable of grasping the distinction between having the freedom to practice their faith and forcing it upon others?

As to the rest of your post, I agree. The religious should have the same rights to express their views as the rest of us via the ballot box but the fact that Bishops still have any direct say in law making is unacceptable.
              There's no provision in the act to say they can't, by the same logic there is no ruling to say that meetings can have tea, coffee or biscuits.

It's a massive lack if common sense, an example of PC gone mad, if the prayers were Muslim no one in their right mind would have objected

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

if the prayers were Muslim no one in their right mind would have objected
                Maybe Christians should blow up a few people.
                bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Maybe Christians should blow up a few people.
                  But instead there would only be a strongly worded pamphleting campaign and a tea morning with cakes on sale to raise funds for the church roof

Comment

There's no provision in the act to say there should not be a five minute lecture on atheism either. Would that be ok?

Actually, council meetings should probably just be a series of prayers/lectures in every single faith or lack of. That would be fair. If there was no time left for council business I doubt that would be much of a loss anyway.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 11 February 2012, 10:58.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X