• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best home contents Insurance provider .. in your opinion...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best home contents Insurance provider .. in your opinion...

Its coming up to renewal time for my home contents insurance I see with Nationwide that I'm paying £50.00 per month for "Contents Standard Cover" (£42,000) and "Contents Accidental Damage" (also £42,000) with £0 excess on items; this is with the Nationwide. Strangely some of the "specified valuables" which I had included in there years ago are no longer listed which I'm not happy about, I wonder if their 'automatic renewal' years prior to now wiped those items out' or if some 'numpty' in a call centre manually deleted them......?

I have an expensive watch which should be listed in the 'specified valuables' and possibly an expensive laptop should be listed in there also. Apart from that its the usual expensive desktop PC and monitors (£5k), sofa (£5k+), bed (£4k), clothes, books, tv and games consoles / games that need to be insured, I can't see any upper limit on items such as computers and sofas and beds in the Nationwide policy document - have I missed something ?

My question to you is does £50.00 per month for £42,000 worth of (basic only) home contents insurance sound reasonable to you ? Have you had any problems with certain insurance companies when making a claim (I've never had to do this) ??

The price depends on where you lived and previous claims. All you can do is enter the details into a comparison site and see what the other quotes so.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
      Its coming up to renewal time for my home contents insurance I see with Nationwide that I'm paying £50.00 per month for "Contents Standard Cover" (£42,000) and "Contents Accidental Damage" (also £42,000) with £0 excess on items; this is with the Nationwide. Strangely some of the "specified valuables" which I had included in there years ago are no longer listed which I'm not happy about, I wonder if their 'automatic renewal' years prior to now wiped those items out' or if some 'numpty' in a call centre manually deleted them......?

I have an expensive watch which should be listed in the 'specified valuables' and possibly an expensive laptop should be listed in there also. Apart from that its the usual expensive desktop PC and monitors (£5k), sofa (£5k+), bed (£4k), clothes, books, tv and games consoles / games that need to be insured, I can't see any upper limit on items such as computers and sofas and beds in the Nationwide policy document - have I missed something ?

My question to you is does £50.00 per month for £42,000 worth of (basic only) home contents insurance sound reasonable to you ? Have you had any problems with certain insurance companies when making a claim (I've never had to do this) ??
      Firstly I'd never buy insurance from a company that sells other products. You want buildings and contents so why go to a bank?

We paid around £750 annual for actually less that you've quoted, £25,000 (You really have £42k lying around the house?). And I'm glad I did, you're never more thankful when it comes to making a claim. Ceiling fell in from leaky dishwasher upstairs, everything was taken care of, that was aviva insurance. 3-4 weeks later you'd never knew anything happened. Bliss.

Years before I had a claim with direct line (RBS). The trouble I had with them, even though the claim was sorted it (4 months to repair damage) their was a sense of inexperience. It was a year before I saw any money whilst living with the loss. Sure they were cheaper than above, paying extra for monthly instalments no doubt (pay annually if you can).

The bottom line is if it looks to good to be true... ask yourself who insures £42k for £600 a year?, what a risk! There's probably some small print they'll pull your pants down with when the time comes.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

AtW
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Just had AVIVA on the phone and they were very pushy, although I think they sold me on it, said they wouldn't send out a policy document with quote out !!!

Ok, so tell me what are your good and bad experiences with Direct Line, AVIVA and Nationwide home insurance ????

I know the reply above had a long wait with Direct Line (RBS) .......

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

AtW
            ROFL

Comment

Home Insurance: ok so if its between Nationwide and AVIVA which one would you go for ?

Comment

I'm suddenly wondering if I have home insurance. I certainly did, a couple of years ago, and I thought it auto-renewed. Hmmm.

I claimed from Direct Line after being burgled, and they were pretty good then. But that was 10 years ago.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

direct debit statements are a good starting point to see whether or not they have automatically renewed. I did read that AVIVA pushed up the premiums in a stealthy way and automatically renewed so he started paying £600 / year for home contents insurance then ended up paying £1500 / year !

which reminds me Virgin have been kind enough to put up the prices and are charging me £4.50 / month extra for the same old service. If they do not double my broadband speed April/May its bye bye.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                    Just had AVIVA on the phone and they were very pushy, although I think they sold me on it, said they wouldn't send out a policy document with quote out !!!

Ok, so tell me what are your good and bad experiences with Direct Line, AVIVA and Nationwide home insurance ????

I know the reply above had a long wait with Direct Line (RBS) .......
                    I've had good experiences with Morethan who are owned by RSA, AVIVA are pushy and not quoting or sending out a quote is a load of horsetulipe.

Had claims twice with morethan and it was all sorted out very quickly, first time was with a leaky roof, second with a burnt carpet.

Aviva has dominated the home market for a long time and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, their payout time on claims is slow and laboursome.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X