• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are the Dutch lazy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the Dutch lazy?

OECD.Stat

So according to the OECD the Dutch worked the lowest annual hours in 2010. Are these stats misleading?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    OECD.Stat

So according to the OECD the Dutch worked the lowest annual hours in 2010. Are these stats misleading?
    From my time working in The Netherlands I can testify that the dutch are in the office less but they work harder when they are at work.
    Anyway, the whole point is moot, for most modern companies the important factor is outcome not how long someone spends at work
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

In the UK people like to be seen working longer hours, whether they actually do any work is another thing.

The Dutch keep very much to office hours but as Spacecadet says they get the work done. There is a better work/life balance over here, people value family time over work time.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        In the UK people like to be seen working longer hours, whether they actually do any work is another thing.

The Dutch keep very much to office hours but as Spacecadet says they get the work done. There is a better work/life balance over here, people value family time over work time.
        It is interesting that some companies, particularly Amrican, seem to care more about the hours you do than what you achieve. Odd.

Comment

Can't speak for the Dutch but I am still in the office

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Are stats misleading?
            Yes - next

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

According to my German course, "In the US, people like to brag about the amount of hours they do, but in Germany, they brag about the amount they can get done in normal work hours". Which seems a much more sensible approach to me.

The US side of PermieCo always seem to be working long hours, and there's a bit of friction over the fact we generally don't. But as a software engineer, if you're knackered and producing buggy crap then it's going to cost far more money and time overall than if you get it right. I think the optimum is probably about 4-5 hours a day. I think I could get as much done if I could turn up and be focussed and concentrate for those 4-5 hours, and then go home, or do something else with the afternoon. But the world doesn't work that way.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You know what they say:

The bitterness of low quality is not forgotten Nor can it be sweetened with low price.

Marquis De Lavant (1734)

The yanks may work long hours and the far east may sell it cheap but quality is something I've not assumed when buying from those regions. Particularly consumer based product out of the US. Just awful experiences.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  According to my German course, "In the US, people like to brag about the amount of hours they do, but in Germany, they brag about the amount they can get done in normal work hours". Which seems a much more sensible approach to me.

The US side of PermieCo always seem to be working long hours, and there's a bit of friction over the fact we generally don't. But as a software engineer, if you're knackered and producing buggy crap then it's going to cost far more money and time overall than if you get it right. I think the optimum is probably about 4-5 hours a day. I think I could get as much done if I could turn up and be focussed and concentrate for those 4-5 hours, and then go home, or do something else with the afternoon. But the world doesn't work that way.
                  The "long hours" mentality is becomign very common place in the city, often people will refrain from sending important e-mails during the day only to start sending them late at night.
                  Its frowned on if you come in and leave on time in a lot of companies.

The pressure is very much there to work long hours. Some people feel they are obliged to, and in turn have no social or family life as a result.
                  As someone posted some time ago, some companies will often go out of their way to employ people with certain "personality profiles", knowing full well they will work silly hours without question.

I find it refreshing to work in a country where the mindset is about quality of life and not about being seen to be hardworking.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    You know what they say:

The bitterness of low quality is not forgotten Nor can it be sweetened with low price.

Marquis De Lavant (1734)

Might as well up your rates then.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X