• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private Message - FAO: Pacharan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Message - FAO: Pacharan

Evening Dad,

congratulations on becoming a father.

I saw your thread about the racket, to be honest I had to look on google to see what it was,

anyway, found it...

Amazon.co.uk: raclettes

my opinion....

I once went to a dinner party with the mrs and the folks we were visiting had one of these and thought they were really posh in a cheese fondue sort of way

and to be honest, when we arrived and set eyes on the thing first glance impression was of something impressive, a grill in the middle of the dining room table

so everyone took their pews and began on the whore's doves and the host fired up the raclette thing

and then it happened,

he stuck some steaks and sausages on

and the thing got up to temperature

and,

and,

started spitting fat everywhere

it was a fecking mess

to be honest I am glad I went and glad he had the thing and glad I saw it in all it's volcanic spitting glory,

because,

had I not had the opportunity to see it doing it's thing,

I too might have bought one, but I reckon the mrs would have seen sense and stopped me

to conclude me old fruit,

leave the raclettes for your friends

if you want to have a laugh get one for someone for christmas

back to business,

have you bought the weber performer and the rotisserie yet ?

can be a coming home present for 'er indoors

Milan.

Comment

Milly get back to yer tapes.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Ffs

wtf

wgas

hth bidi

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          Evening Dad,

congratulations on becoming a father.

I saw your thread about the racket, to be honest I had to look on google to see what it was,

anyway, found it...

Amazon.co.uk: raclettes

my opinion....

I once went to a dinner party with the mrs and the folks we were visiting had one of these and thought they were really posh in a cheese fondue sort of way

and to be honest, when we arrived and set eyes on the thing first glance impression was of something impressive, a grill in the middle of the dining room table

so everyone took their pews and began on the whore's doves and the host fired up the raclette thing

and then it happened,

he stuck some steaks and sausages on

and the thing got up to temperature

and,

and,

started spitting fat everywhere

it was a fecking mess

to be honest I am glad I went and glad he had the thing and glad I saw it in all it's volcanic spitting glory,

because,

had I not had the opportunity to see it doing it's thing,

I too might have bought one, but I reckon the mrs would have seen sense and stopped me

to conclude me old fruit,

leave the raclettes for your friends

if you want to have a laugh get one for someone for christmas

back to business,

have you bought the weber performer and the rotisserie yet ?

can be a coming home present for 'er indoors

Milan.
          From your description, that's not a raclette. Sounds more like a hotstone type thing to me.

With a raclette, you have little pans that go under a grill, and you heat meat and melt cheese in your pan before eating (traditionally) with potatoes. You don't put steaks and sausages in / on a raclette.

Maybe you should stick to the tapes, eh?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

how d'you explain this then Dad....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SPECIAL-SALE...9160728&sr=8-3

and checkout the review from Jim about the temperature of the thing

as I said, if you want a laugh get one of these for someone for christmas

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              how d'you explain this then Dad....

SPECIAL SALE PRICE - Andrew James Luxury Rustic Stone Raclette Grill with Thermostatic Heat Control - As Seen On Come Dine With Me 15th December 2010: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

and checkout the review from Jim about the temperature of the thing

as I said, if you want a laugh get one of these for someone for christmas

Milan.
              I explain it by (a) knowing what I'm talking about, and (b) accepting that Amazon isn't the be all and end all of definitions. The item that you link to is a combination hot stone (pierrade) and raclette. The bit where you can cook steak / sausages etc. is the hot stone. The bit where you do the rest is the raclette.

Originally posted by wikipedia
              A modern way of serving raclette involves an electric table-top grill with small pans, known as coupelles, to heat slices of raclette cheese in. Generally the grill is surmounted by a hot plate or griddle. The cheese is brought to the table sliced, accompanied by platters of boiled or steamed potatoes, other vegetables and charcuterie. These are then mixed with potatoes and topped with cheese in the small, wedge-shaped coupelles that are placed under the grill to melt and brown the cheese. Alternatively, slices of cheese may be melted and simply poured over food on the plate.
              Linky

Originally posted by wikipedia
              The accent in raclette dining is on relaxed and sociable eating and drinking
              I think that's the bit that leaves pacha with problems.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hi Milan

Thanks for your reply. Your views on culinary paraphernalia are always most welcome.

I think the apppliance to which you refer must have incorporated a pierrade. I'm always a bit wary of multi functional devices; I prefer a raclette to be a raclette, full stop.

I'm quite tempted on the Lagrange Transparence:

It has a transparent glass hotplate. I like the idea of that as it allows one to keep tabs on the bubbling coupelles underneath without having to crane one's neck.

Raclette (derived from the French verb racler, meaning to scrape) is traditionally prepared by melting raclette cheese over hot slices of potato and gherkin (or cornichon) in a metal dish (coupelle) situated under a heating element.
                The dish is popular in Switzerland and the Haute Savoie region of France.

Best raclette cheese to use is unpasteurised (cru) . Don't know if the nanny state powers that be allow the consumption of unpasteurised cheese though.

FAO The Faqqer. My house has a reputation for its gastronmic delights. Indeed it us known as the place where "the tables strain 'neath loaded platter"

You are most welcome to see for yourself. In fact, why not POP round tonight? I'm only doing cauliflower cheese but I could always pop a couple more florets in the pan.
                Last edited by pacharan; 14 February 2012, 10:03.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                  In fact, why not POP round tonight? I'm only doing cauliflower cheese but I could always pop a couple more florets in the pan.
                  On Valentine's day you need to do more than cauliflower cheese. Milan is not an easy boy you know.

Comment

Milan Benes

I know you've only just got the hang of the quote button but could you make this years task "learning how to use the private message function".

Thanks
                    The CUK Forum Membership
                    Last edited by Spacecadet; 14 February 2012, 10:11.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X