• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who says Brown can only do evil?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who says Brown can only do evil?

He is actually pro-family, the Times reports:

Brown goes to aid of mothers who breastfeed in public
    Lois Rogers

THE chancellor Gordon Brown is supporting a campaign to outlaw harassment of mothers who breastfeed their babies in public.

Brown, who is anxious to increase his appeal to women, has endorsed a pressure group presenting a petition to Tony Blair on the issue tomorrow. The campaigners believes it ought to be an offence for anyone to try to prevent a baby being breastfed. Similar legislation was introduced in Scotland last year.

The call for change follows reports that up to 50% of breastfeeding women say they are made to feel uncomfortable in public. In some cases passers-by have called police.

Brown posed for a photograph last year alongside Michelle Atkin, a member of the group, called Little Angels, as she suckled her baby at the opening of a children’s centre in Blackburn, Lancashire.

He chatted to the women about the benefits of breastmilk and offered to support them. “He was really interested in what we had to say and the need for better services nationally,” said Atkin.

Brown’s wife Sarah, who accompanied him to the event, and is expecting another child in less than two months, said she had breastfed their son John until he was six months old and “thoroughly enjoyed” the experience.

The chancellor, who has a long-standing interest in children’s welfare, is nevertheless struggling to transform his image as custodian of the national exchequer to family friendly prime minister in waiting — and chief opponent of Tory leader and father of three, David Cameron.

The breastmilk campaigners now believe a change in the law may be on the way. Brown has contacted David Kidney, a Labour backbencher, who has made repeated efforts to introduce legislation to bring England into line with Scotland.

“I have had a message inviting me to go to see him to talk about my bill,” said Kidney. “We do look forward to having a new team at the top and a more friendly approach to breastfeeding.”

Yesterday a spokesman for Brown confirmed he is supportive of the campaign but declined to comment further on conversations he and his wife had had with the campaigners.

Research has shown that breastfed babies have better immune systems and are less likely to become overweight in later life. The benefits for mothers include a lower risk of breast cancer.

However, according to the National Childbirth Trust, reluctance to breastfeed is blamed on Britain’s tradition of prudery. Although nearly three-quarters of mothers start by breastfeeding their baby, six out of 10 give up within the early weeks, despite government campaigns to promote the practice.

“It is quite outrageous that this is happening when we are surrounded by media images of naked breasts,” said the Liberal Democrat MP Annette Brooke, who has supported Kidney, and attracted the signatures of 180 MPs to an early day motion of her own, calling for a Scottish-style anti-discrimination law.

In April Frances Newell, 40, from south London, was forced to give up her role as a volunteer teaching assistant at her son’s infant school because the headmaster objected to her breastfeeding her baby in front of other four-year-olds while she listened to them read.

The actress Kate Hudson also drew comment for breastfeeding her son in front of the director when filming The Skeleton Key.

Catherine Gulati, 34, a former personnel adviser, was told to stop feeding her baby as she sat in the National Gallery, a few yards from Tintoretto’s picture The Origin of the Milky Way, which shows the infant Hercules benefiting from the abundant magical milk of the goddess Juno.

“It is a ridiculous situation,” said Gulati.

----------------

IMO special extra child credit should be available to those mums, it will only cost few hundred mil to have the job done by a consultancy

Well slap me in the face with a wet fish, Flash and Teflon are going for the easy populist issues. Who would have thought they would divert their attention from the big issues of health, education and law and order. Teflon has been outraged that Afghans who hijacked an airliner are being given asylum, and have been paid housing and living benefits for the last 6 years or so. A courageous position indeed. I may be wrong, but I suspect a few people might agree with him on that one. And Flash wants more tit on show. Well fine by me. Except when they are rather wrinkly new Labour tits who've been on show for far too long. Even new Labour MP's have stopped sucking up to them.

Comment

Brown chatted to the women about the benefits of breastmilk and offered to support them.
      One in each hand no doubt!
      The breastmilk campaigners now believe a change in the law may be on the way.
      Oh dear, I see another 100 pages of ill-drafted Labour legislation that will accidentally make it compulsory to conceive all babies in the street!

Comment

I don't get this breast feeding thing. Every breast fed baby I've ever seen is a sickly rag with everything conceivable wrong and generally poor development.

My bottle fed daughter (2 1/2 yrs old) is doing things that a 4 year old is supposed to be doing and is built like a brick tulip house.

I think most people are deluded by the crappy NHS brainwashing and bra-less warriors and don't look at the real facts!

Also, the last thing I want to see is some slag's tits out with a baby attached. There's also the slightly wierd ones who's children are about 3 years old and still sucking away. They are going to be so ****ed up in the head.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
          Also, the last thing I want to see is some slag's tits out with a baby attached. There's also the slightly wierd ones who's children are about 3 years old and still sucking away. They are going to be so ****ed up in the head.
          According to the WHO, the global average age of weaning off breast feeding entirely is four years. In the UK we wean unusually early.

Saw some documentary about the issues a few weeks ago. Some fecking retard said that breast feeding should be banned as it encourages paedophiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Controller
            According to the WHO, the global average age of weaning off breast feeding entirely is four years. In the UK we wean unusually early.

Saw some documentary about the issues a few weeks ago. Some fecking retard said that breast feeding should be banned as it encourages paedophiles.
            Insanity.

That includes the "developing world" I'm sure, where they have nothing to eat apart from tit milk.

As for weaning early - my daughter was eating mushed up roast dinners at 4 months because milk just wasn't enough any more! She's "unusually healthy" according to the health visitor.
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
              Well slap me in the face with a wet fish, Flash and Teflon are going for the easy populist issues. Who would have thought they would divert their attention from the big issues of health, education and law and order.
              I agree entirely. Watch this space for more pointless crusades by the two numpties as they vie for popularity with the masses. I heard this morning that TB has signed a petition in a stance against intimidation by animal testing extremists.

Comment

Bitty!

We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Brown’s wife Sarah, who accompanied him to the event, and is expecting another child in less than two months, said she had breastfed their son John until he was six months old and “thoroughly enjoyed” the experience.
                  For a moment I thought they were talking about Prescott again.

Comment

There's also the slightly wierd ones who's children are about 3 years old and still sucking away.
                    There are
                    weird
                    whose
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X