• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drivers who smoke may face £60 fine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sunday Times May 14, 2006

MOTORISTS who light up behind the wheel face on-the-spot fines of up to £60 under plans to extend smoking restrictions to private cars It is proposed that Smoking should be listed alongside eating, drinking and reading maps as potentially lethal distractions in a new version of the Highway Code to be published next year.

Drivers who smoke would, for the first time, receive fines similar to those handed out for using a mobile phone.

The offence would fall within Department for Transport regulations requiring motorists to have “proper control” of their vehicle at all times.

Transport chiefs have been persuaded to class smoking as a dangerous activity following concerns that hundreds of people in Britain are killed or injured each year by motorists distracted after lighting up

Bolloxs...absolute fecking turd ridden bollocks

AT LAST!!!

I'll have you know I wrote someone's car off with a Land Rover defender because they pulled out on me whilst lighting a ciggie. Dented the front bumper and wing hitting it at about 20 mph.

If only anyone could be bothered to enforce laws! We might have a nice society!

You shouldn't need to smoke - it puts others at risk.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
      AT LAST!!!

I'll have you know I wrote someone's car off with a Land Rover defender because they pulled out on me whilst lighting a ciggie. Dented the front bumper and wing hitting it at about 20 mph.
      Still blaming yourself though eh?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
        Still blaming yourself though eh?
        I'm proud of it! Poogeot 306 + LR 110 = mush + LR 110
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

It's about time this government introduced more legislation and on the spot fines.

We've all had too much freedom need stuff like this.

HTH.

Comment

I want to see a law forcing drivers with kids in the car to have a nanny so the driver isnt distracted by the child.

How many times have you seen a parent either turning round to check the kids or setting the rear view mirror to watch the little darlings.
            In my experience they are worse than mobile phone users.

And while I am in rant mode, what makes them think a "baby on board" stickers is a licence to drive like a twat.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

More wasted time - you can already be fined for smoking at the wheel. Anything that interferes with your driving you can be fined for - only a couple of weeks ago someone got fined for eating a Mars Bar whilst driving.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                More wasted time - you can already be fined for smoking at the wheel. Anything that interferes with your driving you can be fined for - only a couple of weeks ago someone got fined for eating a Mars Bar whilst driving.
                Only a year ago someone got prison for eating a polo. OK, he was in an accident, but it was the polo that got him jug.

Fecking government, they don't know how to apply existing legislation so they write tons more for every eye-catching idea dreamt up by their spin machine.

And they write it so badly it either doesn't work (that protester outside the Houses of Parliament was a classic case) or has loads of unintentional consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Only a year ago someone got prison for eating a polo. OK, he was in an accident, but it was the polo that got him jug.

Fecking government, they don't know how to apply existing legislation so they write tons more for every eye-catching idea dreamt up by their spin machine.

And they write it so badly it either doesn't work (that protester outside the Houses of Parliament was a classic case) or has loads of unintentional consequences.
                  ..and allows hijackers free food and accomodation in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                    ..and allows hijackers free food and accomodation in the UK

Caused by their own flagship HR legislation! Then HMG compounded the problem by breaking the law to get around it!

Comment

Working...
                    X