• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horsey keep your tail up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horsey keep your tail up

The Horse | USEA Identifies Horse Killed in Hyperbaric Chamber Explosion

But not quite that high.

Bet that makes your ears pop a bit.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle....D=19591&src=VW

The Wail has pictures of the building.

Erica Marshall: Newlywed killed in freak explosion caused by horse in pressure chamber | Mail Online

And another pic:

http://www.local10.com/news/Woman-ho...n/-/index.html

Stone me.

95% O2.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/st...type=rss_state

This one's got a video.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 14 May 2017, 12:31.

"Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) involves treating a patient with 100% oxygen under pressure;"

Didn't they try that with Michael Jackson?

Comment

Presumably whatever the oxygen reacted with was in aerosol form, maybe quite a bit of hay dust or something. While the horse's hair and hooves would burn energetically in oxygen, to the detriment of the horses future well-being, I can't see it blowing the roof off.

I'm often surprised at how well people survive gas explosions though, not in this case; a house can be blown apart but people escape with singed hair and a surprised look.

Comment

Presumably the problem was worse than a normal gas explosion in this case because she was in a [strong] sealed container. Not a happy place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          22 psi, 95% O2?

Stone me, Apollo 1 went up with 5psi & 100% O2.
          Just did a quick search on what elements oxygen reacts with, but it turns out the question should be what doesn't it react with.

Comment

Probably shouldn't laugh, but I did when I got to the bit where it says "Acupuncture has become more widely accepted as an alternative therapy for horses."

Bloody good job too by the sounds of things...

Comment

Why are you guys trying to guess what it reacted with?? It's in the story. Pretty bloody dumb to put a metal shod horse in a steel container.. someone is going down for this...

Rhonda Stroup, a Marion sheriff detective, said the horse kicked off a protective shield inside of the oxygen-filled chamber, and as the steel shoe as struck the side of chamber, it caused a spark and ignited instantly
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                At 95% it reacts with everything.

Especially at 22psi.

I would assume that the woman was outside the chamber operating the controls, rather than in there with horsey.

Probably got totalled by the door, which is the weakest part.
                She was Zeity.

Apparently the horse got spooked while inside and kicked out, horse shoes and metal sides did the rest.

They hadn't sedated the horse because it had been in the chamber before without incident.

I can see some changes to procedures coming.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Why are you guys trying to guess what it reacted with?? It's in the story. Pretty bloody dumb to put a metal shod horse in a steel container.. someone is going down for this...
                  So you think the horse's steel shoes ignited and exploded?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    So you think the horse's steel shoes ignited and exploded?
                    No. I think he kicked the wall of the metal chamber with his steel shoes causing a spark but also driving a nail into the nerve in his hoof making him bite down in surprise. What he forgot was that he had metal fillings in his upper and lower frontal hook teeth. This resulted in sparking.... and also some smoke which reminded him we was gasping so he sat down and got out a fag and his zippo lighter. Put the fag in his mouth and light up taking a long slow wonderful drag. Upon exhaling he started coughing hard, so hard in fact he let out an involuntary fart which ignighted from his ciggy and blew the bleedin doors orf.... simple if you think about it really...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X