• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do cats purr?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do cats purr?

When a cat purrs it may sound like the cat is happy.

But this is impossible as the only emotion a cat feels is contempt.

Purring is the sound of the cat's heartbeat.It speeds up when you pet it as it senses you are close enough to attack.

Evil things cats.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Purring is the sound of the cat's heartbeat.It speeds up when you pet it as it senses you are close enough to attack.
      The cat is 'saying', you can approach me.

Comment

This is why cats purr

or this

"Scientists have demonstrated that cats produce the purr through intermittent signaling of the laryngeal and diaphragmatic muscles."

Well a couple of suggestions of the suggestions anyway.

I've notice that the NorPusses purr in reaction to different things, one of them will purr when happy and not happy the other two tend to do so when content.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Nonsense.

It's happy because its slave hu-man is doing its bidding.

Also, they purr because they can.

HTH.
          I have 5 cats at home and two big dogs.....the cats are definitely in charge and I'm shattereed trying to keep up with all their demands
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

I believe cats purr when you stick your finger up their arse.

Oh tulip, hang on.

Thats what I've been told anyway And that, your honour, concludes the case for the defence....
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
              I have 5 cats at home and two big dogs.....the cats are definitely in charge and I'm shattereed trying to keep up with all their demands
              You never own a cat, it owns you!
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Contempt and happiness are not mutually exclusive, particularly for a cat.
                Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

They do a lot of things that can be mistaken for love - curling up with you on the sofa/bed (you're warm). However that's not much different from many people

How to pet a kitty - The Oatmeal
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If cat's didn't look nice and making a pleasing noise when stroked, we'd realise what evil minded bastards they all are. That's why I like them, anyway.

A cat instinctively knows when it's "owner" is going to wake up. Then wakes them 10 minutes earlier.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X