• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Between invoicing I get bored, so when there's snow...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between invoicing I get bored, so when there's snow...

I'm just bored, honest.

Written on the lake, which is about this deep before you hit the ice.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

CUK's very own Nazca line.

One that will be enjoyed for thousands of years to come, or at least until next week when the snow melts.

Comment

Is that a Chinese snowman?

Comment

Top tip: When photgraphing predominantly snowy scenes dial in ~1.5 stops of exposure compensation (the exact amount needed will vary with the amount of white stuff in the frame) and the snow will come out white instead of grey.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Is this going to kick off a spate of 'Where is CUK?' photo logos from around the world or funny places?

I may spray paint it on Stonehenge when I go past later.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Is this going to kick off a spate of 'Where is CUK?' photo logos from around the world or funny places?

I may spray paint it on Stonehenge when I go past later.
            From my Italian holiday:

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              From my Italian holiday:

Now we know why Wilmslow is leaving - he'll be back in 6 years

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Top tip: When photgraphing predominantly snowy scenes dial in ~1.5 stops of exposure compensation (the exact amount needed will vary with the amount of white stuff in the frame) and the snow will come out white instead of grey.
                Liking the tip.

Not understanding it though.

I have a canon 350D
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Liking the tip.

I have a canon 350D
                  I think he is implying you need to learn to use it.

Not me though - I can't cope with my Cyber-shot

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Liking the tip.

I have a canon 350D
                    Ok. The auto exposure system in the camera measures the amount of light coming through the lens and works out the exposure. It bases it's calculations on the fact a typical scene or subject has a certain average brightness, but some things differ considerably from this average and will fool it. Snowy scenes reflect a lot of light and are therefore quite a bit brighter than average and so tend to fool the meter into underexposing them. So, you set a bit of +ve exposure compensation to compensate.

You can also use "bracketing" which basically means taking the same photo 3 times with different exposure settings. Most DSLRs will do this automatically these days though TBH I find it easier to take two photos manually than to switch it on and off in the menu.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X