• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish independence: Oil fund 'could be worth £30bn'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish independence: Oil fund 'could be worth £30bn'

If he keeps coming up with ideas like that... he'll get peoples attention.

Scotland's first minister has revealed plans for an independent Scotland to establish an ''oil fund'' to help future generations.

Alex Salmond said that earmarking about a tenth of oil and gas tax revenues - about £1bn a year - could lead to a £30bn fund over a generation.

The plans are based on a scheme operated by the Norwegian government.

The Liberal Democrats said Scotland's economic influence would decrease if it was not part of the UK.

Mr Salmond said currently the UK was the only oil producing country not operating an oil fund scheme.

He told the BBC: "The only finance department that hasn't done it really as a major oil and gas producer is the United Kingdom Treasury.

"If you look at every other, just about every other, major oil producing country - whether it's Abu Dhabi, Norway, or the states of Canada - all of them have built up an investment fund for the future of their state or the future of their country.

"Westminster is the exception in this regard and I think most people looking at the management of oil and gas resources would rather follow the Norwegian example than follow the example of the Treasury in London."

Mr Salmond was speaking ahead of a lecture at the London School of Economics, where he outlined his ambition to use the energy economy to create multi-billion pound wealth for an independent Scotland.

He told the gathering of academics, students and members of the public: "Under independence we would make the best use of our unparalleled energy resources.

"We have 25% of Europe's tidal power potential, 25% of its offshore wind potential and 10% of its wave power potential - not bad for a nation with less than 1% of Europe's population."

'Less influence'
    Scottish Lib Dem leader Willie Rennie said Scotland's global economic impact came as being a strong part of the UK.

He added: "Far from giving Scotland more influence over the global economy, splitting Scotland from the UK would give us less."

The first minister is due to meet with Prime Minister David Cameron for talks in Edinburgh on Thursday.

The Scottish government has signalled its intention to hold a vote in the autumn of 2014, while the UK government has called for an earlier poll.

There are also disagreements over the wording of a question, the temporary transfer of legal powers to hold a referendum and whether a second question could be included on increased powers for the Scottish Parliament.
    source: BBC News - Scottish independence: Oil fund 'could be worth £30bn'
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Smart wee plan.

Comment

"If he (Alex Salmond) keeps coming up with ideas like that... he'll get peoples attention".

Good.
      Good Luck.
      Goodbye.
      Last edited by KimberleyChris; 15 February 2012, 22:08.

Comment

The one thing I really fear is that Scotland will vote to stay in the UK.

After a brief pause, we will then have another 20 years of constant groaning about Scottish Oil, Scottish national identity, and pestering for another referendum.

Please, let us just get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
          The one thing I really fear is that Scotland will vote to stay in the UK.
          It's what people want myself included. But the truth is the UK does not exist anymore. At least not as I knew it growing up, a voice that was heard and listened to. The Scots love that sheet, but when the confidence is gone so is the interest. Not to mention the wealth of land has been raped after succession of tories governments for reasons people in the north have little interest.

What remains of the UK today is represented by a mob and faceless bankers who like to gamble in the city.

Fix it, we're in, do nothing, the landscape will change for sure.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It would be very interesting if the Union was dissolved then the Shetlands Isles decided that they also wanted independence thus becoming, overnight the richest inhabitants in Western Europe

My how I would laugh....
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              . Not to mention the wealth of land has been raped after succession of tories governments for reasons people in the north have little interest.

Explain
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Alex Salmond said that earmarking about a tenth of oil and gas tax revenues - about £1bn a year - could lead to Scotland being able to pay the health bills caused by too much Alcohol and deep fried food
                FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Explain
                  Yeah I want to know that too???

It will all go wrong for AS when 'devo max ' won't be on the ballot paper.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

primeminister salmond will meet the spy in the camp cameron this afternoon, should be worth watching

Comment

Working...
                    X